South Rim Crowding: A Survival Guide
Like other national parks, Grand Canyon has seen a dramatic increase in visitation over the last few years. The South Rim experiences crowded conditions during busy periods throughout the year, including spring break, summer, and holiday times during the fall and winter. You can expect:
1) During the Spring Break and Summer (March 1 through September 30, 2017) Park in the Gateway Community of Tusayan,
2) If You Are Planning to Drive Your Vehicle into the Park, Plan on Arriving Early—By 9 am—If Possible.
3) After 10 am Parking Becomes Limited Around the Visitor Center.
4) Hermits Rest Route (Red) Shuttle Bus to Scenic Viewpoints.
5) If Visiting the South Rim for 3 Hours or Less:
6) If Arriving in the Afternoon and Have 4 or 5 Hours
7) Less Crowded Sunset Locations
Last updated: October 2, 2017