South Rim Crowding: A Survival Guide
Visiting During Busy PeriodsLike other national parks, Grand Canyon has seen a dramatic increase in visitation over the last few years. The South Rim experiences crowded conditions during busy periods throughout the year, including spring break, summer, and holiday times during fall and winter. You can expect:
1) Park in Tusayan and Ride the Free Shuttle into the Park
Note: Tusayan Shuttle is out of service for the winter. Service resumes March 1, 2019.
2) Planning to Drive Your Vehicle into the Park?
Plan on Arriving Early — By 9 am — If Possible.
3) After 10 am Parking Becomes Limited Around the Visitor Center.
4) Tips for Touring Scenic Hermit Road
5) Visiting the South Rim with 3 Hours or Less?
6) Arriving in the Afternoon with 4 or 5 Hours?
7) Less Crowded Sunset Locations
Last updated: December 2, 2018