Most Desert View Facilities Remain Closed
Updated November 6, 2020
Visitors driving on US Route 89 in northern Arizona will be travelling through the Navajo Nation, which requires face masks to be worn at public facilities and businesses to slow the spread of COVID-19.
IMPORTANT > The East Entrance to the park at Desert View remains closed because of COVID-19 lockdowns on the neighboring Navajo Nation. The East Entrance gate is locked.
You must use the South Entrance near the town of Tusayan to enter and exit the park. The driving distance from Grand Canyon Village to Desert View along Desert View Drive (SR 64) necessitates a 50 mile (80 km) round-trip, since you must enter and exit the park through the South Entrance.
The following Desert View areas and services are open for visitors:
• Viewpoints in the Desert View vicinity
• Desert View parking lot and RV parking
• Porta-toilets located near the Desert View parking lot
With public health in mind, the following facilities and areas remain closed at this time:
- The East Entrance to the park on SR 64 CLOSED
- Desert View Watchtower, including visitor contact station and bookstore CLOSED
- Desert View Visitor Center CLOSED
- Desert View Campground CLOSED
- Desert View Chevron Gas Station CLOSED
- Desert View Trading Post & Ice Cream CLOSED
- Desert View Market and Deli CLOSED
- Tusayan Ruin and Museum CLOSED