Located at Yavapai Point overlook, between Grand Canyon Visitor Center and Grand Canyon Village.
8 am – 7 pm (March 3 through May 18)
8 am – 8 pm (May 19 through Aug. 17)
9 am - 8 pm (Aug. 18 through Sept. 7)
8 am – 7 pm (Sept. 8 through Nov. 30)
8 am – 6 pm (Dec. 1 through March 1)
The Museum Features:
History of the Museum
On May 24, 2007, the National Park Service re-dedicated the historic Yavapai Observation Station — originally called the Yavapai Point Trailside Museum — on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.
New geology exhibits, consistent with the vision of the building’s designers to “make the out-of-doors intelligible,” were also unveiled.
explain the deposition of the rock layers, the uplift of the Colorado Plateau, and the carving of the Grand Canyon. Displays include:
A large topographic relief map
in the front room of the Yavapai Observation Station mimics the canyon view in remarkable detail.
The original structure
which was first dedicated in July 1928, was designed by architect Herbert C. Maier.
West Facing Exposure of Yavapai Museum. Shows talus and cliff below. Canyon beyond. June 17,1929.
Naturalist Edwin McKee shows the Canyon to visitors from the parapet of Yavapai Observation Station. Circa 1930.
Ranger naturalist Ralph Reburn shows Yavapai Museum visitors the geological column. September 1932.
1931 photo of park staff planting Steven Mather memorial tree at Yavapai Observation Station. From left to right:
1.) Woman not identified, 2.) Mrs. Edwin McKee, 3.) James Brooks, Chief Ranger, 4.) Ranger not identified, 5.) Edwin McKee, Park Naturalist, holding shovel, 6.) Donald McHenry, Jr. Naturalist, 7.) Polly Mead-Patraw, Naturalist, 8.) Carl Lehnert, Ranger, 9.) Art Brown, Ranger, 10.) Clark Carrol, Engineer, standing, 11.) Preston Patraw, Assistant Superintendent.
Last updated: August 9, 2019