Application Process and Required Documents

On This Page Navigation


Application Process

CUA application packets are accepted year-round.

  1. Complete CUA application packets should be submitted via email to
  2. Complete application packets include the documents listed below:
  3. If your application is missing any components listed above, we will inform you via the email address or phone number listed on the application. Any incomplete applications will be placed on hold until all required documentation is received.
  4. Once your application packet has been reviewed and approved, we will send the CUA, NPS Form 10-115, via the email address listed on the application.
  5. The CUA holder will then sign and return the CUA form(s) to The CUA is not final until the signed form(s) are received by our office.
  6. Submit a guide card request for any guides/employees that will be entering the park under this CUA at least two weeks prior to their first trip in the park.
  7. Complete and submit Annual Report Forms—Due by January 31st following the operating year.

Activity-Based CUA Application

Activity-based CUAs are issued for up to one year with a $300 application fee. For additional information on each activity and instructions on how to apply, please see the links below.

Bicycling Tours

Authorizes guided road-based bicycle trips and front-country hiking on boardwalk areas and trails less than ½-mile from trailheads or roadways.

Guided Environmental Education Tours

Authorizes interpretive road-based tours, day hiking, non-instructional photography tours, and step-on guide services on park roads with visits to facilities and services.

Motorized Boating Trips

Authorizes guided touring or fishing trips in motorized boats on Yellowstone Lake and/or Lewis Lake.

Non-motorized Boating Trips

Authorizes guided touring and fishing using dories, single or tandem kayaks, canoe, and other small non-motorized vessels in Yellowstone, Lewis, and Shoshone Lakes.

Overnight Backcountry Trips

Authorizes guided overnight backcountry camping and hiking trips. Skiing and/or snowshoeing backcountry trips are allowed with the appropriate authorization and backcountry permit.

Painting and Photography Workshops

Authorizes road-based photography and painting workshops which include photography and/or painting instruction. Stops at visitor facilities, services, walks on trails less than a ½ mile from trailheads or roadways, and on boardwalks/developed areas are authorized under this CUA.

Road-based Transportation CUA (group sizes 1-25)

Authorizes road-based interpretive tours, non-instructional photography tours, and in-park shuttle service for group sizes of 1 – 25 clients. Step-on guide service is also authorized under this CUA and may be provided for any size group.

Skiing and Snowshoeing Trips

Authorizes guided cross-country snowshoeing and ski touring trips on low to moderate angle terrain which does not exceed incidental slope angles of 34°. Avalanche education courses are authorized under this CUA with pre-approval from Business and Commercial Services Office. Overnight backcountry trips allowed with appropriate authorization and backcountry permit.

Guided Stream and Shoreline Fishing

Authorizes guided walk and wade fishing trips in park streams and lakes. Float tube use in lakes is permitted with this CUA.

Wedding and Portrait Photography

Authorizes services for wedding and portrait photography. This type of photography includes, but is not limited to, the following: Engagement Photography, Wedding Photography, Family Portraits, School/Graduation Portraits, Pet Portraits (must abide by park pet policy in thermal areas). Options are available for a one day single-session permit or an annual CUA. Appropriate wedding permits required.


Service-Based CUA Application

Service-based CUAs are issued for up to two years with a $150 application fee. For additional information on each category and instructions on how to apply, please see the links below.

Towing and Automotive Services

Authorizes CUA holders to provide towing, tire repair, locksmith, and RV and RV appliance repair services as needed to visitors within the park.

Water Access

Authorizes commercial travel through NPS property to access the Yellowstone River, at the Gardiner confluence, for the purpose of providing non-motorized guided tours and trips.


Last updated: January 18, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 168
Yellowstone National Park , WY 82190-0168



Contact Us

Stay Connected