Permits & Reservations




Commercial Use

Payment Form

Special Use Permits

Certain types of activities require a special use permit. These include organized gatherings like weddings, church services, or public assemblies, as well as the distribution of printed materials or other public expressions of opinion (i.e. First Amendment activities). A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area, and that:

  1. provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization rather than the public at large;
  2. requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
  3. is not prohibited by law or regulation;
  4. is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.

For more information regarding Special Use Permits or to determine if your activity requires one, please call 307-344-2115 or email the park with the subject line "Attn: Special Use Permits."

Applications for permits (see link below) should be submitted well in advance, preferably 2 or 3 months before event, for consideration and processing.

General SUP Application (74 KB PDF)


More Information

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 168
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190-0168


(307) 344-7381
Recorded information. For road and weather information, please dial 307-344-2117.

Contact Us