Much of the information on this website is derived from an annual compendium intended to help park staff understand the important concepts about Yellowstone’s many resources. The Yellowstone Resources and Issues Handbook contains information about the park’s history, natural resources, cultural resources, the science and research conducted in the greater Yellowstone area, and critical management issues facing Yellowstone National Park.
In addition to the annual updates for 2016, this latest edition includes a special section about the birth of the National Park Service and information about the state of Yellowstone in 1916. The 2016 edition also features new research on the impacts of climate change on Yellowstone, cougar prevalence and behavior, and a newly confirmed breeding population of toads.
Read specific chapters by downloading PDFs or by viewing webapges, or the Entire Book (50.2 MB PDF), updated for 2016:
- Contents, Welcome, Park Facts: PDF (2.6 MB) web
- Frequently Asked Questions: PDF (700 KB), web
- History of the Park: PDF (1.3 MB), web
- Preserving Cultural Resources: PDF (1.3 MB), web
- Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem: PDF (4.5 MB), web
- Geology: PDF (3.4 MB), web
- Life in Extreme Heat: PDF (800 KB), web
- Vegetation: PDF (5.2 MB), web
- Fire: PDF (1.2 MB), web
- Wildlife: PDF (8.2 MB), web