Current Road Status
- All roads are open. Roads may close temporarily due to inclement weather and other reasons.
- For up-to-date information consult the map above, call (307) 344-2117 for recorded information, or sign up to receive Yellowstone road alerts on your mobile phone by texting "82190" to 888-777 (an automatic text reply will confirm receipt and provide instructions).
- Open roads are not gated at night: people may enter/exit the park 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Check our webcams to see current traffic conditions at the North and West entrances.
- Check road conditions in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Grand Teton National Park before traveling.
- Chief Joseph Scenic Highway (US-296) is open for the season.
- Beartooth Highway (US-212) is open for the season. Road may close temporarily due to weather. See below for details about planned night construction closures.
Norris to Mammoth (Roaring Mountain to Willow Park)
- 2018 season: expect 30-minute delays beginning April 20, 2018 (excluding holidays*). Construction zone includes sections of unpaved road: motorcyclists should use extreme caution or consider alternate routes.
- Norris and Indian Creek campgrounds will not be affected by this work.
Canyon Village Area
Fishing Bridge to Indian Pond (East Entrance Road)
- 2018 season: expect 30-minute delays along the East Entrance Road between Fishing Bridge and Indian Pond (excluding holidays*).
- October 15 to November 5: full closure of Fishing Bridge over the Yellowstone River. East Entrance Road will remain open as far as Sedge Bay. People needing to travel through Yellowstone to or from Cody, Wyoming and beyond will need to use the Northeast Entrance during this closure.
Beartooth Highway (US-212)
- A construction zone between "Top of the World Store" and Long Lake includes sections of unpaved road: expect minor delays.
*Holidays include Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day.
2018 Fall Closing Dates
Roads will close to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates:
- October 9: Tower Fall to Canyon (Dunraven Pass), Beartooth Highway (US 212 between Cooke City and Wyoming state line).
- October 15: Full closure of Fishing Bridge over the Yellowstone River due to a construction project (see details above).
- November 5: All roads close at 8 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
2018-2019 Winter Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 8 am on the following dates:
- December 15: West Entrance to Old Faithful, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Canyon to Norris, Canyon to Lake, Old Faithful to West Thumb, South Entrance to Lake, Lake to Lake Butte Overlook.
- December 22: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass)
2019 Winter Closing Dates
Roads will close to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 9 pm on the following dates:
- March 1: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass).
- March 3: Mammoth Hot Springs to Norris.
- March 5: Norris to Madison, Norris to Canyon Village.
- March 10: Canyon Village to Fishing Bridge.
- March 15: All remaining groomed roads close.
2019 Spring Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates:
- April 19: West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village.
- May 3: East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village.
- May 10: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- May 24: Tower Fall to Canyon Village (Dunraven Pass)
- May 24: Beartooth Highway