Yellowstone has five entrance stations, the North Entrance, Northeast Entrance, East Entrance, South Entrance and the West Entrance. It takes many hours to drive between these entrances, so be sure to check the status of roads at the entrance you intend to use. Most park roads are closed to regular vehicles from early November to late-April (see dates below) when the park switches to oversnow travel (snowmobiles and snowcoaches). The only road open year-round is from the North Entrance at Gardiner, Montana, through the park to Cooke City, Montana (via Tower Junction). Travel east of Cooke City (via the Beartooth Highway) is not possible from late fall to late May. All dates listed below are subject to change depending on weather and budgetary restrictions.
The map below shows the status of park roads and road construction. Click on a road segment or colored icon for more detailed information. Conditions in Yellowstone can change quickly, especially during spring and fall. Updates to this map may be delayed, so check back often. Short-term road closures and delays may not be shown on this map.
Current Road Status
- Most roads in the park are open. Dunraven Pass is closed for the season. Open roads may close temporarily due to inclement weather and other reasons.
- For up-to-date information consult the map above, call (307) 344-2117 for recorded information, or sign up to receive Yellowstone road alerts on your mobile phone by texting "82190" to 888-777 (an automatic text reply will confirm receipt and provide instructions).
- Open roads are not gated at night: people may enter/exit the park 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Check our webcams to see current traffic conditions at the North and West entrances.
- Check road conditions in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Grand Teton National Park before traveling.
- Beartooth Highway is closed for the season. Chief Joseph Scenic Highway (WY-296) is open. US-212 between Cooke City and WY-296 is open. Check WY DOT before traveling. Anticipate possible road closures due to inclement weather and dangerous driving conditions.
2019 Fall Closing Dates
Roads will close to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates. Colors listed after the dates correspond to the colors on the 2019 Spring Opening and Fall Closing map.
- October 15 (Purple): Tower Fall to Canyon (Dunraven Pass), Beartooth Highway (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana).
- November 4 (Blue, Yellow, and Orange): All roads close at 8 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
Construction Projects Affecting Roads
Addressing the maintenance backlog on park roads is part of the National Park Service’s core mission to preserve national parks and provide a world-class visitor experience.
With winter weather conditions possible half the year, there is a small window from April through early November for repairing and maintaining park roads and bridges.
We appreciate your patience as we complete these important projects. Drive slowly through road construction and be alert to workers, heavy equipment, wildlife and other hazards.
Canyon Village Area
Norris Junction to Mammoth Hot Springs
- 2019: From April 19 to October 24, expect 30-minute delays between Roaring Mountain and Apollinaris Spring (excluding holidays*).
Tower–Roosevelt to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass)
- 2020–2022: Beginning October 15, 2019, the road between Tower Fall and Chittenden Road will be closed until April 2022. Specific areas on each side of this closure will be open for select time periods:
- The Chittenden Road and parking area will be open from Canyon Junction June–August, however, the road and parking area will be closed at select time periods before Memorial Day and after Labor Day (dates TBD).
- The trailhead parking lot and trail to Mount Washburn from Canyon Junction will be open during construction.
- Tower Fall, the Tower General Store, Tower Fall Campground, and Calcite Springs will be open and accessible from Tower Junction between:
- 2020: June 5–September 6
- 2021: June 4–September 26
- Winters: Tower Fall will be open and accessible via skis or snowshoes, snow-permitting, from early November through March.
- Between the following dates, traffic and pedestrians from Tower Junction will be turned around at Calcite Springs:
- 2020: April 1–June 5 and September 6–November 7
- 2021: April 1–June 4 and September 26–November 6
- 2020: Beginning in early summer, expect construction workers and minor delays around the North Entrance as the roads are realigned and a new station is constructed. The entrance station will be OPEN and accessible.
Fishing Bridge to Indian Pond (East Entrance Road)
- Every summer: Chip sealing preserves Yellowstone's roads. Check the park's live road map to see where chip sealing is scheduled to occur and plan for delays of up 30 minutes. Dates can change due to weather. Drive slowly and maintain the recommended speed limit on chip seal pavement to reduce the risk of loose gravel damaging vehicles or windshields.
* - Holidays include Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4–7), and Labor Day.
2019-2020 Winter Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 8 am on the following dates:
- December 15: West Entrance to Old Faithful, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Canyon to Norris, Canyon to Lake, Old Faithful to West Thumb, South Entrance to Lake, Lake to Lake Butte Overlook.
- December 22: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass)
2020 Winter Closing Dates
Roads will close to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 9 pm on the following dates:
- March 1: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass).
- March 8: Mammoth Hot Springs to Norris.
- March 10: Norris to Madison, Norris to Canyon Village, and Canyon Village to Fishing Bridge.
- March 15: All remaining groomed roads close.
2020 Spring Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates. Colors listed after the dates correspond to the colors on the 2020 Spring Opening and Fall Closing map.
- April 17 (Blue): West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village.
- May 1 (Yellow): East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village.
- May 8 (Orange): South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- May 22 (Purple): Canyon Village to Dunraven Pass / Chittenden Road.
- May 22 (Not shown on map): Beartooth Highway.
See the typical status of major parking areas across the park.
Find your way with an official park map.
Make sure your navigation system is sending you to the correct location.