Yellowstone has five entrance stations, the North Entrance, Northeast Entrance, East Entrance, South Entrance and the West Entrance. It takes many hours to drive between these entrances, so be sure to check the status of roads at the entrance you intend to use. Most park roads are closed to regular vehicles from early November to late-April (see dates below) when the park switches to oversnow travel (snowmobiles and snowcoaches). The only road open year-round to automobiles is from the North Entrance at Gardiner, Montana, through the park to Cooke City, Montana (via Tower Junction). Travel east of Cooke City (via the Beartooth Highway) is not possible from late fall to late May. All dates listed below are subject to change depending on weather and budgetary restrictions.
The map below shows the status of park roads and road construction. Click on a road segment or colored icon for more detailed information. Conditions in Yellowstone can change quickly, especially during spring and fall. Updates to this map may be delayed, so check back often. Short-term road closures and delays may not be shown on this map.
Current Road Status
- Access Limited: most park roads, except the road from the North Entrance to the Northeast Entrance, have closed for the season. For up-to-date information consult the map above, call (307) 344-2117 for recorded information, or sign up to receive Yellowstone road alerts on your mobile phone by texting "82190" to 888-777 (an automatic text reply will confirm receipt and provide instructions). Anticipate possible road closures due to inclement weather and dangerous driving conditions.
- Open roads are not gated at night: people may enter/exit the park 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Check our webcams to see current traffic conditions at the North and West entrances.
- Check road conditions in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Grand Teton National Park before traveling.
- Beartooth Highway is closed for the season. Chief Joseph Scenic Highway (WY-296) is open. The segment of the Beartooth Highway (US-212) between Cooke City and Pilot Creek is not maintained. Travel at your own risk after November 4. Check WY DOT before traveling.
2019-2020 Winter Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 8 am on the following dates:
- December 15: West Entrance to Old Faithful, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Canyon to Norris, Canyon to Lake, Old Faithful to West Thumb, South Entrance to Lake, Lake to Lake Butte Overlook.
- December 22: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass)
2020 Winter Closing Dates
Roads will close to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 9 pm on the following dates:
- March 1: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass) and Mammoth Hot Springs to Norris.
- March 3: Norris to Madison and Norris to Canyon Village.
- March 8: Canyon Village to Fishing Bridge.
- March 15: All remaining groomed roads close.
2020 Spring Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates. Colors listed after the dates correspond to the colors on the 2020 Spring Opening and Fall Closing map.
- Open Year-round (Sea green): Gardiner to Cooke City, Montana; Mammoth Hot Springs to the Upper Terraces; and Highway 191 between Bozeman and West Yellowstone, Montana.
- April 17 (Blue): West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village.
- May 1 (Yellow): East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village.
- May 8 (Orange): South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Calcite Springs (not shown).
- May 22 (Purple): Canyon Village to Dunraven Pass / Chittenden Road.
- May 22 (Not shown on map): Beartooth Highway.
- June 5 (Brown): Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- Closed until April 2022 (Gray): Road between Tower Fall and Chittenden Road.
2020 Fall Closing Dates
Roads will close to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates. Colors listed after the dates correspond to the colors on the 2020 Spring Opening and Fall Closing map.
- September 6 (Brown): Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- October 13 (Purple): Canyon (Dunraven Pass) to Chittenden Road, Beartooth Highway (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana).
- November 2 (Blue, Yellow, and Orange): All roads close at 8 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
Construction Projects Affecting Roads
Tower Fall to Chittenden Road
The road between Tower Fall and Chittenden Road will be completely closed until May 2022. Specific areas on each side of this closure will be open for select time periods:
- On the Canyon Village side of the closure: The only way to access the peak of Mount Washburn during construction is via the Canyon Village side of the closure. The Mount Washburn trail and trailhead parking lot near Dunraven Pass will be open during construction. The Chittenden Road and parking area will be open from June through August, but this road and parking area will be closed at select time periods before Independence Day and after Labor Day (dates to be determined).
- On the Tower-Roosevelt side of the closure: Tower Fall, the Tower General Store, Tower Fall Campground, and Calcite Springs will be open and accessible from Tower-Roosevelt between June 5–September 6, 2020 and June 4–September 26, 2021. In the winters, Tower Fall and trails in the vicinity will be open for skis and snowshoes, snow-permitting, from early November through March (follow all closure signage posted at Tower Junction). Traffic from Tower-Roosevelt will be turned around at Calcite Springs May 8–June 5, 2020; September 6–November 2, 2020; May 7–June 4, 2021; and September 26–November 8, 2021. There will be no access to the trails for Mount Washburn from the Tower-Roosevelt side of the closure.
Beginning in early summer, expect delays around the North Entrance. The entrance station will be open. More details, including dates, will be available after a construction contractor is selected. This project will start in 2020 and take two years.
Fishing Bridge to Indian Pond
From May 4 to October 30, 2020, expect delays along the East Entrance Road between Fishing Bridge and Indian Pond. Read updated newsletters about the project status. This project will be completed in 2020.
For additional details about these 2020 projects, please go to Road Construction.
See the typical status of major parking areas across the park.
Find your way with an official park map.
Make sure your navigation system is sending you to the correct location.