Frequently Asked Questions


Does the park have cabins for rent?

Great Smoky Mountains National Park offers campgrounds, but no motels or rental cabins within the park except LeConte Lodge. The lodge is only accessible by hiking and is located on the summit of Mt. LeConte. LeConte Lodge requires reservations, which you can make by calling (865) 429-5704 or visiting the LeConte Lodge website. Other lodging is available in communities surrounding the park.

Where can I camp in the park?

The park offers ten developed campgrounds for RVs and tent campers. Campsites for large groups are also available in many campgrounds. Advance reservations are required.

Horse riders may camp in the park's five horse camps. Advance reservations are required.

Backpackers may stay in campsites and shelters in the park's backcountry. A permit is required for all overnight stays in the backcountry and advance reservations are required for all shelters and many campsites.

What is the weather like?

To listen to the park's current weather forecast, dial (865) 436-1200 extension 630.

Elevations in the park range from approximately 875 feet to 6,643 feet and temperatures can vary 10-20 degrees Fahrenheit from mountain base to top. Prior planning and weather-wise clothing will help ensure an enjoyable visit during any time of the year. Visit the weather page for additional information.

Can I bring my pet to the park?

Pets are allowed in campgrounds, picnic areas, parking areas, and along roads, but must be kept on a 6-foot leash at all times. Pets are permitted on two short walking paths: the Gatlinburg Trail and the Oconaluftee River Trail. Pets are not allowed on any other park trails for the safety of you, your pet, and the park's flora and fauna.

Where can I ride my bike in the park?

The park allows bicycling on any park road that is open to vehicle traffic. Biking on trails is prohibited.

Where can I fish in the park?

Fishing is permitted in most streams year-round in the park. Detailed information, including a complete list of regulations and a map of fishable park waters, is available at any visitor center or ranger station. Fishing FAQs are also available.

Where can I rent horses in the park?

Horseback riding by the hour is available from mid-March through late-November at four stables in the park.

Where can I picnic in the park?

Picnic areas are located at Big Creek, Chimneys, Cades Cove, Collins Creek, Cosby, Deep Creek, Greenbrier, Heintooga, Look Rock, Metcalf Bottoms, and Twin Creeks.

When are ranger-led programs offered?

Ranger-led programs are scheduled in spring, summer, and fall. Check the Schedule of Events for more information. Learn about other special events such as Music of the Mountains, the Spring Wildflower Pilgrimage, the Mountain Life Festival, and the Festival of Christmas Past.

Can I hold my wedding or other special event in the park?

Weddings and other special events require a permit and must follow specific guidelines. Please call (828) 497-1930 for permit information.

Last updated: December 21, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

107 Park Headquarters Road
Gatlinburg, TN 37738



Contact Us