Research Permits

In any given year, as many as 200 Principal Investigators are permitted to use study sites in Yellowstone National Park, and many more conduct research at the park's Heritage and Research Center (HRC). Research conducted at the HRC facility does not require a permit. However, most other types of research done in the park are subject to the park's research permitting policy, and do require a permit. The park's Research Permit Office, located in the Yellowstone Center for Resources, is responsible for issuing and tracking research permits, and provides support to permitted researchers in the park. Each permit application undergoes a formal, standard process for research permit review and issuance.

Permitted researchers study everything from Archeology to Zoology in Yellowstone. All are required to submit an annual report of their study progress and results. These Investigators' Annual Reports (IARs) are then entered into the National Park Service's Research Permit and Reporting System (RPRS), a searchable database that is available for public use.

Please contact the Research Permit Office at (307) 344-2239 or at e-mail us prior to submitting a proposal so that your project can be discussed personally and you can get an early start on the permitting process.

The following index will help guide you through this web site and the permitting process for Yellowstone National Park.


More Information

Last updated: April 5, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 168
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190-0168



Contact Us