If you would like to scatter the remains of your loved one within the park, please be aware of the following regulations:
- Call our Visitor Services Office at (307) 344-2107 and give the exact area where ashes will be scattered, as well as the date and time the activity will take place.
- Human ashes may only be distributed in undeveloped areas. Ashes may not be distributed in or near roads, buildings, parking lots, or campgrounds.
- Scattering ashes in thermal areas is prohibited.
- Installation of a monument or other commemorative tribute is prohibited.
- The use of aircraft to scatter ashes shall be in accordance with regulations of the Federal Aviation Administration. In the park, a 500' Above Ground Level (AGL) distance must be maintained over undeveloped areas and a 1,000' AGL and a horizontal distance of 1,000' must be maintained over developed areas. Pilots are required to contact Yellowstone Fire Dispatch at (307) 344-2180 prior to flight for aviation safety purposes.
A printed copy of this webpage serves as your permit. Please carry this document with you when scattering any human ashes within park boundaries.
The conditions pertaining to this activity are outlined in Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 2.62 (b), which states: "the scattering of human ashes from cremation is prohibited, except pursuant to the terms and conditions of a permit, or in designated areas according to conditions which may be established by the superintendent."