First Amendment (FA)

Certain types of activities require a special use permit. These include organized gatherings like weddings or church services, public assemblies, and the distribution of printed materials or other public expressions of opinion (i.e. First Amendment activities). A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area, and that:

  1. provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization rather than the public at large;
  2. requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
  3. is not prohibited by law or regulation;
  4. is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.

For more information regarding Special Use Permits or to determine if your activity requires one, please call 307-344-2115 or email us with the subject line "Attn: Special Use Permits."

How to Apply

Applications for permits should be submitted well in advance, preferably two or three months before an event.

General Special Use Permit Application (74 KB PDF)
Payment Form for Special Park Uses (653 KB PDF)

A person unloading a canoe on the shore of Yellowstone Lake.

Permits & Reservations

Review what you need a permit for and avoid surprises.

Last updated: June 3, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

PO Box 168
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190-0168



Contact Us