With the establishment of Mount Rainier National Park in 1899, Longmire became park headquarters. The site had previously served as James Longmire's homestead, lodging, and mineral springs resort. Although park headquarters are no longer at Longmire, the original 1916 headquarters building houses a museum that tells the story of the early days of the park. Across the street from the museum, the "newer" Longmire Administration Building, completed in 1930, still holds offices for park staff and is home to the Longmire Wilderness Information Center (current park administration offices are located at Tahoma Woods, outside of the park along SR 706). All of Longmire is now designated a national historic district. Longmire is located in the southwest corner of the park and is 6.5 miles (10.5 km) east of the Nisqually Entrance.
Watch Visit Longmire: Gateway to Mount Rainier for a short video introduction to the Longmire area. The article, Longmire: Designing a National Park Syle, provides an overview of the history of the area. You might also consider visiting other parts of the park such as Paradise, Sunrise, Ohanapecosh, and the Carbon River-Mowich Lake areas.