Independence Hall Association Records, 1906-1962 and undated (bulk dates: 1940-1944), Catalog Number: 4337
The Independence Hall Association Records document the early years of the organization's activities. The primary goal of the Independence Hall Association at its founding on July 4, 1942, was the creation of Independence National Historical Park and the preservation of Independence Hall and the historic sites of Old City. The bulk of the collection was created by David Knickerbacker Boyd, the Association's first executive secretary, and includes correspondence, meeting minutes and agenda, subject files, membership information, newspaper clippings, printed material, photographs, and scrapbooks. There is also a small amount of correspondence from Boyd's successor, Elizabeth Boyd Borie.
Archives Finding Aids
Independence Hall Association Records, 1906-1962 and undated (bulk dates: 1940-1944), Catalog Number: 4337
Office of the Historic Architects Records, 1938-1993 and undated (bulk dates: 1951-1975), Catalog Number: 53505
The Office of the Historic Architects Records contain materials created and collected by park architects in the course of preserving, restoring, and rebuilding historic structures throughout the park. Materials include architectural and historical research files, Historic Structures Reports, Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) field notebooks, restoration documentation, photographs, drawings, and audiovisual materials. The records represent the working files of principle architects Charles E. Peterson, Henry A. Judd, Lee H. Nelson, and Penelope Hartshorne Batcheler, as well as other park architectural staff.
Isidor Ostroff Papers, 1933-1968 and undated, Catalog Number: 53514
Edwin Owen Lewis Papers, 1927-1972 and undated (bulk dates: 1941-1957), Catalog Number: 53515
The Edwin Owen Lewis Papers document Judge Lewis' essential role in the creation of Independence National Historical Park and in the redevelopment of Philadelphia's Old City neighborhood. The records reflect his involvement with numerous organizations in Philadelphia, as well as his contact with politicians and government officials on the local, state, and federal levels. The bulk of the collection is composed of correspondence, but also contains meeting minutes and agenda, newspaper clippings, brochures and programs from various events, as well as memorabilia.
Constance M. Greiff Administrative History Project Working Files, 1939-1988 and undated, Catalog Number: 57627
General Management Plan Records, 1991-1999 and undated (bulk dates: 1993-1997), Catalog Number: 66577
Independence Mall Records, 1995-2010, undated (bulk dates: 1997-2008), Catalog Number: 75399
The Independence Mall Records consist of documents related to the redevelopment of Independence Mall in the 1990's and 2000's. This includes the construction of the new Independence Visitor Center, Liberty Bell Center, and the National Constitution Center. The materials consist of textual documents, plans and drawings, and photographic materials. Oversize materials include plans and drawings.
Interpretation and Visitor Services Records, 1852-2011, undated (bulk dates: 1948-2010), Catalog Number: INDE 74045
Public Affairs Office Records, 1918-2012, undated (bulk dates: 1975-2009), Catalog Number: 75059
Lands and Deeds Records, 1945-2009 (bulk dates: 1950-1963), Catalog Number: 75061
Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site Records, 1929-2010, Catalog Number: 77170
Cultural Resource Management Records, 1936-2016, undated, Catalog Number: INDE 77171
The Cultural Resource Management Records were produced by NPS staff and contractors as part of their day-to-day maintenance and preservation of the park's grounds and buildings and contain a wide variety of documents including extensive correspondence, both internal and external. There are also reports and research materials including photographs, drawings, and plans; assessments and surveys; contracts, including land acquisition; work orders; and clippings. Of particular note are correspondence and clippings reflecting public opinion about the development of the park, especially regarding the move of the Liberty Bell and re-construction of the Graff House.
Utilities Improvement Project Records, 1983-2012 (bulk dates: 1994-2000), Catalog Number: INDE 77175
The Utilities Improvement Project Records document the extensive and complex building projects conducted at Independence National Historical Park between 1992 and 2012. The building projects documented in these records incorporated multiple parkwide objectives, including the rehabilitation and improvement of old and failing utility systems, the installation or improvement of fire detection and suppression systems, the installation or improvement of security systems, the removal of hazardous materials associated with utilities, and the replacement of or addition to the interpretive exhibits in some 15 buildings throughout the park. Materials consist primarily of working files generated by park personnel and construction project managers, exhibit research, investigation reports concerning archaeology, building assessments, and HVAC monitoring.
Museum Branch Records, 1948-2010, undated (bulk dates: 1953-2008), Catalog Number: 77176
The Museum Branch cares for the historic artifacts that support the park's preservation and interpretive missions. These records consist primarily of working files generated by park personnel, administrative documents, and research collections that concern specific topics. Significant groupings of material include the planning documents for exhibits created by the Museum Branch, various materials covering the park's AAM accreditation process, and the working files for reports written by park curators and the Friends of Independence National Historical Park interns. The museum accession files for the park artifact collection are not described in this finding aid. These permanent records are available for research use upon request from Museum Branch staff.
Archaeology Project Records, 1950-2011 and undated, Catalog Number: 77180
The Archaeology Project Records document archaeological investigations and excavations undertaken at Independence National Historical Park largely between 1953 and 2010. Materials consist primarily of historical research, excavation documentation, artifact inventories and analyses, and final reporting. The materials consist of reports, field notes and notebooks, artifact lists, plans and drawings, and photographic materials. Oversize materials include plans and drawings with the largest number coming from Franklin Court.
Historic Resource Studies Collection, 1895-2013 and undated (bulk dates: 1953-2009), Catalog Number: 77252
The Historic Resource Studies Collection is a comprehensive collection of reports that relate to the management and operations of the park. Also known as cultural resource studies, these reports are produced by National Park Service staff, contractors, and researchers. The reports include a variety of useful information, including narrative history, illustrations, and statistical data, and are intended to address specific research needs within the park. Many of the reports center on individual park sites, and contain information on architectural history and a site's past inhabitants. Reports can also include interpretation guides and set forth plans for preservation and furnishing of park buildings. The materials in the collection consist primarily of final reports and drafts. These documents may also include correspondence, photographs, drawings, and plans. Additionally, a small number of reprints of reports from outside the park have been included because of their informational and historical value.
Morris Family Papers, 1741-1989 (bulk dates: 1830-1950), Catalog Number: 101264
The Morris family members who are represented in these papers are part of a large and prominent Philadelphia Quaker family descended from Anthony Morris (1654-1721). Materials include correspondence, diaries, household account books, drawings, recipes, and photographic prints and negatives created and collected by the families of Samuel Buckley Morris I (1791-1859), Elliston Perot Morris I (1831-1914), and Marriott Canby Morris I (1863-1948). Many items relate to the Deshler-Morris House which the Perot and Morris families owned in the 19th century and which the Morris family donated to the National Park Service in 1949. The house was used by President Washington and his family when escaping the Philadelphia yellow fever epidemics of 1793 and 1794.
Deshler-Morris House Committee, Inc. Records, 1941-1999 and undated, Catalog Number: 104154
History Branch Records, 1921-2010, Catalog Number: 104159
"Miracle at Philadelphia" Exhibit Records, 1964-2009, undated (bulk dates: 1984-1987), Catalog Number: 104160
Stone Conservation Project Records, 1984-2013, Catalog Number: 104161
The Stone Conservation Project Records contain project files and supporting documentation generated during projects to survey and restore the outer masonry of the First Bank of the United States, Merchants' Exchange Building, and Second Bank of the United States. Each of these buildings is a National Historic Landmark within Independence National Historical Park. Project materials include requests for proposals (RFPs), contract files, project correspondence, manuals, assessment reports, strategic report drafts, treatment reports, field notes, readings, samples, research papers, thesis papers, background research, photographs, digital media, construction drawings, and annotated survey drawings.
American Revolution Patriots Fund Records, 1985-2006 (bulk dates: 1992-2006), Catalog Number: 91504
These records document the American Revolution Patriots Fund, a non-profit corporation that raised money and planned the restoration, rehabilitation, and renovation of many aspects of Washington Square, including the Tomb of the Unknown Revolutionary War Soldier, the walkways, landscaping, and irrigation system. An agreement was reached in 1991 between the Department of the Interior (DOI) and the City of Philadelphia's Fairmount Park Commission (FPC) which stated that management, but not ownership, of Washington Square would pass from the FPC to the National Park Service when an unnamed third party agreeable to both raised the money needed to restore the Square. That third party, the American Revolution Patriots Fund was founded in 1992 and approved by the FPC and DOI in 1993. These records consist of articles, videotapes, correspondence, photographs, publications, newspaper clippings, drawings, financial files, research materials and reports, planning documents for interpretative plaques and fund raising and construction project files.
This records collection relates to the National Museum at Independence Hall, a display of Revolutionary-era artifacts housed in the former courtroom on the first floor of the building in the late 19th century. In 1998 Independence National Historical Park undertook a project to improve the accessibility and preservation of their collection of historic records related to the years when the City of Philadelphia managed the National Museum at Independence Hall and the buildings in Independence Square. This project involved arranging, rehousing and describing these records in accordance with archival standards designed to preserve the historic record.
Bicentennial of the Constitution of the United States Research Project Working Files, 1983-1987 and undated, Catalog Number: 66559
These files contain research materials compiled by park historians over the course of writing A Daybook for 1787. The records include research files on various eighteenth-century subjects, biographical information about the delegates to the Constitutional Convention, drafts of the Daybook articles, and general correspondence.
Penelope Hartshorne Batcheler Personal Papers, 1953-2006 and undated
The collection contains the personal and professional files of Penelope Hartshorne Batcheler, all surrounding her work as a historic architect. Much of the materials included relates to her work for the National Park Service and Independence National Park. The majority of the collection is made up of notes, papers, and drawings from project files. Correspondence, newspaper clippings, books, and other reference materials are also included. Batcheler studied under the Modernist Master Architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago in the early 1950s, one of only three women enrolled in the school’s undergraduate architectural program. After completing her degree, Batcheler spent two years documenting and studying log structures in Sweden. Her time in Sweden sparked an active interest in historic structures, which remained with her after she returned to the United States.
Cultural Landscape Field Records, undated (bulk dates: 1957-2008), Catalog Number: 128586
Historic Resource Studies: Student Reports, 1952-2014, Catalog Number: 104419
This collection of student reports include works submitted as academic coursework, including published and unpublished materials. All student reports involve research on or using park resources, including sites, buildings, and artifacts. Works range from high school student papers through Ph.D. dissertations.
Last updated: June 12, 2018