Morning Room

morning room

NPS

The Morning Room served as a parlor, formal dining room, and painting studio for the Custis family before the home's completion in 1818. As her arthritis worsened during the 1850's, the elder Mary Lee relied this room as an office to answer mail, paint, and manage the affairs of the house. In May 1861, Mrs. Lee sat in this room copying a portrait of her youngest son when her cousin, Orton Williams, told her of the U.S. Army's impending advance toward Arlington House.


 
Arlington House First Floor Floorplan
First Floor
Center Hall | Conservatory | Custis Bedchamber | Custis Guest Room | Dining Room | Family Parlor | Hunting Hall | Morning Room | Office | School Room | White ParlorPortico    Bath and Water Closet    Outer Hall Pantry    Inner Hall    Dining Room    Store Room    White Parlor    Hunting Hall    Conservatory    School Room    Morning Room    Family Parlor    Guest Chamber    Custis Bedchamber    Center Hall    Office and Studio    Selina Gray's Quarters    Summer Kitchen / George Clark's Quarters
 

Last updated: November 18, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
700 George Washington Memorial Parkway
c/o Turkey Run Park

McLean , VA 22101

Phone:

(703) 235-1530

Contact Us