Hunting Hall

 
The Hunting Hall

NPS

This Hall, located at the rear of the house, served as a trophy case for George Washington Parke Custis. George Washington Parke Custis was an avid hunter, beginning from the time of his youth at Mount Vernon. At Arlington Plantation, he reserved about 600 acres of virgin timberland in the western portion of his estate for hunting deer and other game. Custis was also a self-taught artist, and he is believed to have painted the three frescos found on the upper portion of the Hunting Hall walls, all hunting scenes. Two of the scenes might regarded as Virginia hunt scenes, but the third scene is distinctly different; it depicts a lion and tiger fighting. In recent years, the inspiration for this unusual fresco has been identified as a 1799 mezzotint engraving by James Ward (1769-1859), a noted English artist and member of the British Royal Academy who specialized in animal paintings.

 
Lion and Tiger fighting
A Lion and Tiger Fighting by James Ward, 1799

British Museum, London

 
Arlington House First Floor Floorplan
First Floor
North Slave Quarters Museum Exhibit Miss Judy's Quarters Portico Bath and Water Closet Outer Hall Pantry Inner Hall Dining Room Store Room White Parlor Hunting Hall Conservatory School Room Morning Room Family Parlor Guest Chamber Custis Bedchamber Center Hall Office and Studio Selina Gray's Quarters Summer Kitchen / George Clark's Quarters South Slave Quarters museum exhibit Smokehouse
 

Last updated: June 17, 2021

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
700 George Washington Memorial Parkway
c/o Turkey Run Park

McLean , VA 22101

Phone:

703 235-1530

Contact Us

Stay Connected