The Lee and Custis families entertained their guests in this parlor and gathered as a family for morning and evening prayers. This room witnessed several special occasions as well. Robert E. Lee and Mary Anna Randolph Custis were married here on June 30, 1831 underneath the archway to the left. Stories also state that two weddings between enslaved couples were performed in this location. George Washington Parke Custis, builder and owner of Arlington House, would often fall asleep in the company of his pet cat while sitting around the fireplace at the rear of this room.
Last updated: November 18, 2015