Conservatory

 
Conservatory
The Conservatory as it would have appeared with plants in it.

NPS

Mrs. Custis, Mrs. Lee, and the Lee daughters used this sunny room to tender plants. Alternatively called a “conservatory,” “greenhouse,” and “Camellia House,” this room and the flower garden outside were places of responsibility and enjoyment for the ladies of Arlington.

The room was originally a cloister or porch formed by Roman arches on the west and south. Later, it was enclosed and a stove was added to provide warmth for the plants. It appears that the only set of stairs connecting the Conservatory to the rest of the house were the stairs that led into the Office. This is because, as a working greenhouse, the conservatory would not have been used as an entrance or traffic passage.

 
Arlington House First Floor Floorplan
First Floor
North Slave Quarters Museum Exhibit    Miss Judy's Quarters    Portico    Bath and Water Closet    Outer Hall Pantry    Inner Hall    Dining Room    Store Room    White Parlor    Hunting Hall    Conservatory    School Room    Morning Room    Family Parlor    Guest Chamber    Custis Bedchamber    Center Hall    Office and Studio    Selina Gray's Quarters    Summer Kitchen / George Clark's Quarters    South Slave Quarters museum exhibit    Smokehouse
 
 

Return to virtual tour

Ready for the real thing? Plan Your Visit

Last updated: July 13, 2021

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
700 George Washington Memorial Parkway
c/o Turkey Run Park

McLean , VA 22101

Phone:

(703) 235-1530

Contact Us