White Parlor

white parlor

NPS

Robert E. Lee oversaw the decoration of the White Parlor and the room strongly reflects his personal tastes. It was used as a store room for almost 40 years: housing old furniture while serving as a painting studio and later on as a playroom for the Lee children. In 1855, the Lees redesigned the room, turning it into a formal parlor where they entertained guests, read, and played music. Lee was away for much of the work, but was instrumental to the parlor's completion, as he designed and ordered the two marble mantles, selected the furniture, and chose the white color.


 
Arlington House First Floor Floorplan
First Floor
Center Hall | Conservatory | Custis Bedchamber | Custis Guest Room | Dining Room | Family Parlor | Hunting Hall | Morning Room | Office | School Room | White ParlorPortico    Bath and Water Closet    Outer Hall Pantry    Inner Hall    Dining Room    Store Room    White Parlor    Hunting Hall    Conservatory    School Room    Morning Room    Family Parlor    Guest Chamber    Custis Bedchamber    Center Hall    Office and Studio    Selina Gray's Quarters    Summer Kitchen / George Clark's Quarters

Return to virtual tour

Last updated: November 18, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
700 George Washington Memorial Parkway
c/o Turkey Run Park

McLean , VA 22101

Phone:

(703) 235-1530

Contact Us