28) Lincolnville Historic District
The Lincolnville Historic District is St. Augustine's most prominent historically black neighborhood and is associated with many significant events in the city's African American history. Founded in 1866 by former slaves, the district remained relatively static until the late 19th century. Segregationist practices that swept the South between 1890 and 1910 spurred the growth of black owned and operated commercial enterprises. Washington Street in the district became the heart of the black business community. In 1877 the "People's Ticket" that included black Republican D.M. Pappy, a leader in the Lincolnville community, swept city elections. By the early 20th century Lincolnville was a major subdivision of St. Augustine with a high level of political participation among its residents. In 1964 St. Augustine became a focal point for the Civil Rights Movement. Neighborhood churches and businesses were the sites of meetings and the bases from which peaceful protest marches began. In the spring of 1964, national attention was focused on St. Augustine as the protest of black and white civil rights activists continued, including the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Today, Lincolnvilles' architectural heritage includes the highest concentration of Victorian-era buildings in St. Augustine. Among these are the Italian Gothic style St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church (Washington Street) and St. Paul's AME Church (M.L. King Avenue) built in the Gothic Revival style. Both figured prominently in the 1964 protest. Also of note are D.M. Pappy's House on Oneida street and Yallaha Plantation House on Bridge Street. The plantation house, built in 1800, is one of the oldest residences in Florida. Many of these buildings were constructed by black carpenters and builders.
The Lincolnville Historic District encompasses 45 blocks in St. Augustine and is bounded by Cedar, Riviera, Cerra, Washington, and DeSoto Streets.