The adobe chapel of Mission San Juan Capistrano, the seventh in the mission chain, was dedicated in 1778 by Father Junipero Serra. The mission complex included workshops the chapel and the Great Stone Church. It featured workshops, granaries, residences, kitchens and a hospital, and was completed in 1812. Today many of the buildings have been restored including the Padres' living quarters, kitchen, storerooms, warehouse, soldiers' barracks. The mission is also famous for its gardens, walks, and swallows. The swallows fly 6000 miles from Goya, Argentina, to San Juan Capistrano and arrive every March 19 on St. Joseph's Day. The adobe "Serra Church" is still used for daily services. The Great Stone Churhc was destroyed by an earthquake in 1912 and the remaining walls of the ruin present a dramatic sight.
Mission San Juan Capistrano is open daily from 8:30am to 5:00pm, closed major holidays; there is a fee for admission. Please call 949-234-1323 or visit the website for further information.