Jamestown quickly began expanding beyond the boundaries of the three-sided fort first built on the banks of the James River in 1607. In the 1620s, surveyor William Claiborne mapped out the area to the east of the fort. This land was quickly occupied and used for a variety of purposes by a variety of Jamestown inhabitants and visitors. Use the links below to learn more about the 17th-century story of New Towne, a busy part of Virginia's first capital.
Last updated: February 26, 2015