Frequently Asked Questions


What are your camping facilities and fees?

Chickasaw National Recreation Area has 6 campgrounds with over 400 camping sites. Quiet time in the campgrounds is 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. During the summer season, there are campground hosts in most of our campgrounds that can assist you.

Fees are collected through automated fee machines at Rock Creek, Cold Springs, The Point Lower Loop, and Buckhorn Loops A, B, and D campgrounds. The machines accept all major credit cards. Buckhorn Loop C and The Point Upper Loop campground are available by reservation only. Guy Sandy (open seasonally) fees are payable by cash only.

Some campgrounds close seasonally. Visit the
camping page for detailed information.

Camping rates (effective January 1, 2021):

  • Non-utility $14.00- $16.00
  • Utility $22.00- $24.00
  • Group Sites $30.00 (Rock Creek, Cold Springs, and Central Campgrounds)

(top of page)


Can I reserve a campsite?

Some of our campsites are on a reservation system. Reservations can be made at or by calling 1-877-444-6777.

Sites at Chickasaw National Recreation Area under reservation system:

  • Group sites at Rock Creek, Central, and Cold Springs Campgrounds - Rates are $30.00 per night, per site
  • Buckhorn Campground Loop C and The Point Upper Loop - Rates are $16.00 - $24.00 per night, per site

The rest of the campsites are on a first come, first serve basis. Availability of first come, first serve campsites will typically depend on the time of the year, day of the week, and weather.

(top of page)


Can I bring my pet?

Pets are allowed in most outdoor areas. The must always be on a leash or contained. Areas that are closed to pets are posted. Pets are prohibited on the trails east of the Travertine Nature Center, within the Travertine Nature Center, and in creeks and springs east of U.S. 177. Service animals accompanying persons with disabilities, regardless of the disability requiring the use of a service animal, are not regarded as pets and may accompany their person throughout the park. The pet restriction also does not apply to animals used by authorized Federal, State, and local law enforcement officers in the performance of their official duties.

Pet excrement must be disposed of in accordance with the following conditions:

All pet excrement must be removed by the owner/keeper from all trails, roads, camping areas, picnic areas, and parking areas, and shall be deposited in refuse containers or removed from the area.

(top of page)


What can I do at the Travertine Nature Center?

The Travertine Nature Center has live animal exhibits and presents interpretive programs related to the park's natural and cultural resources. The Western National Parks Association bookstore has materials for sale. Kids can pick up and turn in their junior ranger booklets. Passport stamps for the National Parks Passport books are also available.

(top of page)


Do you have hiking trails?

The park has over 20 miles of hiking trails.
more information on trails....

(top of page)


Can I purchase groceries, sundry items, or fuel in the park? Can I rent boats or camping equipment in the park?

Shady Oaks Boat Rental, open seasonally, is the only concession in the park, located near the boat launch at The Point. They have pontoon boats, kayaks, and canoes for rent. They sell a small selection of snacks.

The City of Sulphur is adjacent to park property, and the City of Davis is located nearby to the west. Groceries, fuel, dining, etc. are available. Contact the Sulphur Chamber of Commerce at 580 622-2824 or Davis Chamber of Commerce at 580 369-2402 for information on boat or camping equipment rentals, local accomodations, and more.

(top of page)


Can I have a campfire?

Fires are allowed in the provided fire grate. Ground fires are prohibited. You can gather dead and downed wood for campfires in the vicinity of the campgrounds. You cannot cut any live trees. Note: Red Flag Fire Alert (burn with caution) or Burn Ban (absolutely no fires) may be in effect.
more information on burn ban status....

(top of page)


Do you have picnic pavilions? How can I rent a pavilion?

Buckhorn and Veterans Lake Pavilions are open-sided pavilions with grills and picnic tables. Reservations must be made at least a day in advance at or by calling 1-877-444-6777.

(top of page)


How can I get a map of Chickasaw National Recreation Area?

You can view the park map online or request a paper copy be mailed to you.

(top of page)


How can I obtain a Senior Pass or Access Pass?

The Senior and Access Passes (formerly known as the Golden Age and Golden Access Passports) are available at the Travertine Nature Center. Please call ahead at 580-622-7234 to ensure that someone who can issue the pass will be available.

(top of page)


Can I hunt in Chickasaw National Recreation Area and where?

Hunting is allowed in some areas of Chickasaw National Recreation Area. Please visit our hunting page for more information and for a map of the areas open to hunting.

(top of page)


Can I use my Jet Ski, Skidoo, on Lake of the Arbuckles?

The rulemaking process to allow Personal Watercraft (PWC), also known as jet skis, on Lake of the Arbuckles was completed as of 8:30 a.m. September 2, 2004. The final special rule was published in the Federal Register on September 2, 2004 and allows personal watercraft to operate on Lake of the Arbuckles under additional PWC restrictions.

(top of page)


How do I get a lake launching permit for Lake of the Arbuckles?

Chickasaw National Recreation Area requires a lake launching permit for use of the boat ramps. Automated fee machines are available at The Point, Buckhorn, and Guy Sandy boat ramps. A day-use permit may be purchased for $4.00. An annual (calendar year) permit may be purchased for $30.00; a discount is available with updated Senior Pass or Access Passes. A credit or debit card is needed to use the machines.

(top of page)


Will drinking the spring water improve my health?

There is no scientific evidence to support claims that the springs have healing powers; however, some people have long attributed medicinal and restorative properties to the mineral waters flowing from these springs. Over the years, some of these springs have ceased to flow. Today, Pavilion Springs, Black Sulphur Springs, Hillside Springs, and the Vendome Well are the only mineral waters flowing at Chickasaw National Recreation Area.

Though the National Park Service claims no proof to the curative qualities these springs may hold, visitors to the area can still enjoy the beauty of the springs or possibly indulge in the mystery of their healing powers at Vendome Well or Pavilion Springs. Drink at your own risk, as the water is not treated at these locations. Hillside Springs and Black Sulphur Springs have high bacteria levels and are not safe to drink.

(top of page)


Can I scuba dive in Lake of the Arbuckles?

Scuba diving is allowed in Lake of the Arbuckles in Chickasaw National Recreation Area. Diving is not allowed around boat docks and launch ramps. Visibility is poor, three to five feet. You are required to fly a flag above the area in which you are diving. The nearest place to refill air tanks is Norman, OK (60 miles away).

(top of page)


How can I volunteer?

For volunteer opportunities at Chickasaw National Recreation Area are posted at or on the park volunteer page. An on-line application is available. All of our opportunities are strictly volunteer. Camping sites with full RV hookups are provided to camp hosts.

(top of page)


Does the park have cabins or lodging?

There are no lodging facilities inside the park; however, the surrounding area offers numerous lodging possibilities close to the park, ranging from rental cabins to budget motels.

The Sulphur Chamber of Commerce has information about lodging in Sulphur and the surrounding area. Contact their office at 580-622-2824.

The Davis Chamber of Commerce has information about lodging in Davis and the surrounding area. Contact their office at 580-369-2402

(top of page)

Last updated: June 5, 2021

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

901 W. 1st Street
Sulphur, OK 73086


(580) 622-7234

Contact Us