Frequently Asked Questions

Wilderness view from Desolation Peak
Wilderness view from Desolation Peak

NPS/A. Braaten

Directions and Logistics

1. Where is North Cascades and how do I get there?

The North Cascades National Park Service Complex is located in northwest Washington. It encompasses the heart of the North Cascades mountains and is composed of three national park areas: Lake Chelan National Recreation Area, North Cascades National Park, and Ross Lake National Recreation Area. Most people access the park complex on Washington State Highway 20 (North Cascades Highway). Directions and Transportation

2. What is there to do and see?

North Cascades is an amazingly rugged mountain landscape. As the mixing ground of many habitats, it is one of the most ecologically diverse national park areas in the United States. Hiking, mountaineering, sightseeing, and camping are popular activities. There are many things to see and do.

3. When is the park open or closed?

The park is open year-round, but access can be very difficult in late fall, winter, and spring due to deep snow. Washington State Route 20 (North Cascades Highway) is usually closed from late November to early May. Other seasonal and emergency closures may apply. Operating Hours and Seasons

4. Where can I find current conditions and status of roads, trails, lakes, rivers, and climbing areas?

Road Conditions
Trail Conditions
Rivers and Lake Conditions
Climbing Area Conditions
Wildfire Closures

5. Is there lodging in the park?

Overnight lodging within the park and recreation areas can be found at Ross Lake Resort and the North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin. Other lodging accommodations can be found in the Stehekin and Chelan areas as well as along Highway 20 in the Skagit River valley west of the park and the Methow River valley to the east. Lodging Information

Back to Top


6. Do I need a parking pass for trailheads?

You do not need a parking pass for any trailheads in the North Cascades National Park Complex. The U.S. Forest Service requires a parking pass for many trailheads on national forest lands. Passes and Fees

7. How do I get my boat, kayak, or canoe onto Ross Lake?

There is no road access to Ross Lake from State Route 20. Road access to Ross Lake is available in Hozomeen. To access Ross Lake from State Route 20, most boaters will launch on Diablo Lake at Colonial Creek Campground then paddle five miles to the base of Ross Dam. Near Ross Dam, you can either portage your boat around the dam (portage is about one mile with over 500 feet of elevation gain) or utilize Ross Lake Resort’s portage service. Boating on Ross Lake

Camping and Hiking

8. Where can I camp?

North Cascades offers a variety of camping experiences from developed campgrounds to remote backcountry sites accessible only by trail or boat. Begin Planning for Your Camping Adventure

9. Can I reserve campsites?

Many campsites, including backcountry campsites, can be reserved. Reservation Information

10. Can you recommend a hike or trail?

With hundreds of miles of trails, North Cascades offers hiking opportunities for people of all skills and abilities. Trails wind through beautiful old-growth forest trails as well as arduous terrain to remote alpine lakes and mountain passes. Popular day hikes include Cascade Pass, Agnes Gorge, Rainbow Loop, Thornton Lake, Thunder Creek, and Thunder Knob. Many leisurely trails wind through the forest near Newhalem. Backpacking hikes can encompass everything from short overnight trips to month-long expeditions.

Hiking Information
Hiking Trail Guide
: Information on and descriptions of most established trails in North Cascades

Back to Top


11. Where can I find backcountry camping and permit information?

Backcountry camping is one of the most popular activities in North Cascades. Backcountry camping requires a free permit.

Wilderness Trip Planner: Information on hiking, backcountry safety, and food storage requirements
Backcountry Permits: Information about permit requirements, how to obtain a permit, and where to get a permit

12. Where can I hike with my dog?

Dogs are allowed within Ross Lake National Recreation Area and Lake Chelan National Recreation Area as well as most U.S. Forest Service lands. Dogs must be leashed and in control at all times, including campsites and campgrounds. Dogs are not allowed in the national park except on the Pacific Crest Trail and within 50 feet of roads. Pets in North Cascades

Other Frequently Asked Questions

13. What kinds of animals live in the park?

The park is home to some of the rarest land mammals in North America such as the Canada lynx, wolverine, and grizzly bear. Black bears and mountain goats are frequently seen in certain habitats at the right times of year. Rare birds such as the northern spotted owl and marbled murrelet find suitable nesting habitat in the park. Seventy species of mammals, seven reptiles, twelve amphibians, thirty-one species of fish, and over two hundred species of birds have been documented in North Cascades. More Information

14. When is the best time to see wildflowers?

Flowers begin to bloom in low elevations in April, while plants at higher elevations remain buried under snow. In moderate to high elevations, wildflowers are most abundant in July and early August. Wildflower Information

15. Can I bring my gun?

Federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws to possess firearms in North Cascades National Park, Ross Lake National Recreation Area, and Lake Chelan National Recreation Area.

Federal law prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances and generally include all NPS staffed offices open to the public. Firearm owners are responsible for understanding and complying with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering the park. North Cascades National Park Service Complex Laws and Policy

Back to Top

Last updated: October 22, 2017

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

810 State Route 20
Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284


360 854-7200

Contact Us