Permits & Reservations

Recreational Permits


Backcountry Permits
Requests for advance backcountry reservations for the summer season are accepted only from the first week in January through May 15. All requests for backcountry permit reservations in Grand Teton must be submitted using the website Walk-in permits are issued no more than one day in advance at a permits office. Learn more about Backcountry Permits. And learn more about backcountry camping.


Boating & Floating Permits
Motorboats are permitted on Jenny (10 horsepower maximum) and Jackson lakes. Human-powered vessels are permitted on Jackson, Jenny, Phelps, Emma Matilda, Two Ocean, Taggart, Bradley, Bearpaw, Leigh and String lakes. Sailboats, water skiing and windsurfers are allowed only on Jackson Lake. Personal watercraft are banned from all park waters.

A par boat permit and a state AIS decal are required to launch your boat on park waters.

Wyoming requires a boat inspection and purchase of an aquatic invasive species decal prior to launching in state waters. Decals may be purchased online. State inspection stations are distributed throughout the state.

Grand Teton National Park boat permits may be purchased at the visitor centers in Moose Jenny Lake or Colter Bay. During summer, park inspection stations are located near Park Headquarters in Moose and next to the Moran Entrance Station. Learn more about Boating Permits.


Campground Reservations
Most campgrounds operate on a first-come, first-served basis. Advanced reservations are accepted for group camping, the Colter Bay RV Park, and the Headwaters Campground & RV Sites at Flagg Ranch only. Learn more about campgrounds.


Climbing Permits
A permit is not required for climbing in Grand Teton National Park; however, you must obtain a permit when staying overnight in the backcountry or bivouac at the Jenny Lake Ranger Station. Learn more about Climbing and Mountaineering in Grand Teton.


Special Use Permits

Certain types of activities require a special use permit. These include many types of organized gatherings, distribution of printed material and other public expressions of opinion, and other activities that are controlled or prohibited. See the following definitions and examples to determine if your use might be included. For all special use permit inquiries and to submit permits, please email us.

A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area, and that:

  1. Provides a benefit to an individual, group, or organization rather than the public at large;
  2. Requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
  3. Is not prohibited by law or regulation;
  4. Is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and
  5. Is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.
  6. Some special use permits require a cost recovery rate. Please inquire if the event has an applicable cost recovery rate.

First Amendment and Other Special Events
Application for Special Use Permit for First Amendment or other Special Event not listed below.


Educational Fee Waivers
Schools or other bona fide educational institutions (accredited, officially recognized, or tax exempt for educational purposed) may request an educational fee waiver. The fee waiver will allow qualifying groups free entry into the park for educational or scientific purposes. Learn more about Educational Fee Waiver or for an application.


Commercial Filming & Photography
Permits are generally required for any commercial activity in national parks. Learn more about Commercial Filming & Photography or for a permit application.


Weddings are permitted in Grand Teton National Prk in a number of locations. A permits is required to hold a wedding in the park unless the wedding is held at the Chapel of the Transfiguration, the Chapel of the Sacred Heart or a concession facility. There is a non-refundable application fee for weddings. Learn more about holding a Wedding in the park.


Scattering of Ashes
The scattering of ashes is permitted in the park with certain restrictions and conditions. A permit is also required. Learn more about Scattering of Ashes in the park.

Last updated: April 19, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 170
Moose, WY 83012


(307) 739-3399

Contact Us