Trip Planning Basics
Most visitors will start their visit at Boston Store Visitor Center.
The Boston Store Visitor Center is open seven days each week, year round except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Years Day. See Operating Hours and Seasons
for detailed hours.
- Location: 1550 Boston Mills Road, Peninsula, Ohio 44264
- Parking: There is a small parking lot near the visitor center. Overflow parking is located just east of the visitor center in a large gravel and grass lot.
- Oversized vehicles and trailer parking: Recreational vehicles, trailers and buses should park on the corner of Riverview Road and Boston Mills Road adjacent to the Boston Mills Ski Area.
- Accessibility: Accessible parking is located in the main Boston Store lot. The visitor center is fully accessible. The visitor center is along the Towpath Trail, which is also fully accessible.
For an in-depth experience centered on canal history, take a trip to Canal Exploration Center
in the northern part of the park. Hours
vary throughout the year.
- Location: 7104 Canal Road, Valley View, Ohio 44125
- Parking: There is a large paved parking lot suitable for bus, RV, and vehicle parking at Canal Exploration Center.
- Accessibility: Accessible parking is located in the main Canal Exploration Center lot. The Exploration Center is fully accessible. Audio descriptions and assistive listening devices are available for all exhibits. The visitor center is along the Towpath Trail, which is also fully accessible.
Hunt House is a great place to stop along the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath Trail. Family-friendly exhibits and activities await visitors.
The Winter Sports Center
- Location: 2054 Bolanz Road, Peninsula, Ohio 44264
- Parking: A small parking lot is located across the street from Hunt House. Crossing Bolanz Road can be hazardous during times of heavy traffic. Visitors should use the crosswalk or plan to access Hunt House via the Towpath Trail on foot or bicycle.
at Virginia Kendall Lake is open during winter months
when there are 4 or more inches of snow.
- Location: Truxell/ Kendall Park Road, 2 miles west of Akron Cleveland Road
Peninsula, Ohio 44264
- Parking: A large parking lot is located near the center and Virginia Kendall Lake.