Park Closures & Conditions
Before your visit to the park, be aware of closures that may impact your stay. Check our Alerts page for updated information.
- View current alerts here
Daily Activities & EventsOpportunities for exploring the park and its neighbors are numerous. Whether you want to join a hike, learn about wildlife, ride the train, or attend a concert, there's something for everyone! The Valley Guide is our quarterly schedule of events. A printed copy is available at our visitor centers.
Things to do in the Fall
- Fall Flyer Train Ride
- One of the best ways to see the vibrant colors of autumn is by train! Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad is introducing the Fall Flyer excursion on Saturdays and Sundays in October. This two-hour, nonstop train ride is a beautiful way to enjoy the changing leaves and scenery in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. For more information and tickets visit cvsr.com.
- Farmers' Markets
- Countryside Farmers' Markets (CFM) are vibrant, producers-only farmers' markets established and managed by Countryside Conservancy. Our markets are held in three unique locations: Howe Meadow in Peninsula, nestled in the middle of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park; Highland Square, a thriving, walkable community in West Akron; and Old Trail School, a private school within the Cuyahoga Valley National Park that emphasizes sustainability throughout its curriculum. For more information visit countrysideconservancy.org, for events see our online calendar.
- Farm Events and Activities
- There are 11 active farms in Cuyahoga Valley National Park that are part of a special conservation program called the Countryside Initiative. These park farms are committed to sustainable agriculture and work with their park partners to be good land stewards. Throughout the year these farms host events like farm-to-table dinners, yoga, flower picking, sheep herding and more! What better way to enjoy the fall scenery then at a farm? For more information visit countrysideconservancy.org, for events see our online calendar.
- Hikes to View the Fall Foliage
- The Ledges - Stunning sand stone cliffs surrounded by woods. Hike the Ledges trail and end your trip at the Overlook for a spectacular view across the valley and fall scenery.
- Indigo Lake- A paved path winds around the lake and leads you to Hale Farm and Village. This is a short and easy walk through the woods.
- Tree Farm Trail- A longer walk that winds you through Pine forests, and through a tree farm field. A beautiful and scenic hike.
Outdoor AdventuresThere’s a lot to do in the Valley without having to hike for miles. Many iconic locations throughout the park don’t necessarily require a hike—and if they do, it’s short. Visit The Conservancy for CVNP webpage for suggested outdoor adventures.
Boston Store Visitor CenterStart your visit at the Visitor Center. The Boston Store Visitor Center is open seven days each week, year round except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Years Day. See Operating Hours and Seasons for detailed hours.
- Location: 1550 Boston Mills Road, Peninsula, Ohio 44264
- Parking: There is a small parking lot near the visitor center. Overflow parking is just east of the visitor center in a large gravel lot.
- Oversized vehicles and trailer parking: Recreational vehicles, trailers and buses should park on the corner of Riverview Road and Boston Mills Road adjacent to the Boston Mills Ski Area.
- Accessibility: Accessible parking is located in the main Boston Store lot. The visitor center is fully accessible. The visitor center is along the Towpath Trail, which is also fully accessible.
Canal Exploration CenterFor an in-depth experience centered on canal history, take a trip to Canal Exploration Center in the northern part of the park. Hours vary throughout the year.
- Location: 7104 Canal Road, Valley View, Ohio 44125
- Parking: There is a large paved parking lot suitable for bus, RV, and vehicle parking at Canal Exploration Center.
- Accessibility: Accessible parking is located in the main Canal Exploration Center lot. The Exploration Center is fully accessible. Audio descriptions and assistive listening devices are available for all exhibits. The visitor center is along the Towpath Trail, which is also fully accessible.
Hunt House is a great place to stop along the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath Trail. Family-friendly exhibits and activities await visitors. Hours vary throughout the year.
- Location: 7104 Canal Road, Valley View, Ohio 44125
- Location: 2054 Bolanz Road, Peninsula, Ohio 44264
- Parking: A small parking lot is located across the street from Hunt House. Crossing Bolanz Road can be hazardous during times of heavy traffic. Visitors should use the crosswalk or plan to access Hunt House via the Towpath Trail on foot or bicycle.
There are many places to stay around the park, We also provide a limited number of campsites.
The park can get very busy during the summer time and during peak hours. Visit certain trails and areas to find the best parking during these times.
- Visit our parking tips page for more information.
Trails and Hiking
Over 125 miles of hiking trails are available for your hiking pleasure. These trails range from nearly level to challenging.
The Cuyahoga Valley has five major bicycle trails for your enjoyment! Ride along the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail, East Rim Mountain Bike Trail, Summit Metro Parks' Bike & Hike Trail, Cleveland Metroparks' All Purpose trails in Brecksville and Bedford reservations, as well as all roads and parking lots. Bicycling is prohibited on all other trails.
- Visit our biking page for more information.
Canoeing and Kayaking
The primary waterway within Cuyahoga Valley National Park is the Cuyahoga River. We are presently developing strategies to protect and enhance river values, including adequate and safe approaches for recreational river use.
- Visit our canoeing and kayaking page for more information.
Scenic Train Rides
Experience the adventure, romance, and nostalgia of a vintage train ride through the heart of Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
- Visit our Scenic Train Ride page for more information.
- Visit cvsr.com for more events and updated train schedules.
Whether you are planning a trip to Cuyahoga Valley National Park or doing research for a school project, we have lots of activities and information just for kids.
For the Family
There are plenty of activities and places to go for the entire family.
- Attend a summer concert at Blossom Music Center.
- Visit Cleveland, OH for a day.
- Recommended family hikes.
- Check our online calendar for events.
Tips for A Safe Visit
Whether you are planning a trip to Cuyahoga Valley National Park or any park. Follow our advice for a safe visit.
- Visit our safety page for more information.