Permits & Reservations

The park will not accept or process any applications for Special Use Permits that do not provide at least 30 days notice prior to the requested event date. Thank you for understanding.

Special Use Permits

Certain types of activities require a Special Use Permit. These include sports events, public spectator attractions, entertainments, ceremonies, and similar events, provided there is a “meaningful association between the park and the events, and the observance contributes to visitor understanding of the park area…” [36 CFR §2.50(a)] See the following definitions and examples to determine if your proposed use might require a permit.

A special park use is defined as an activity that takes place in a park area, and that:

  • provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization rather than the public at large
  • requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect park resources and the public interest
  • is not prohibited by law or regulation
  • is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS
  • is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease

Examples of activities that require a permit on the Blue Ridge Parkway include, but are not limited to:

For more information regarding Special Use Permits or to determine if your activity requires one, please e-mail the park with the subject line "Attn: Special Use Permits."

Special Use Permit Restrictions

Special events such as bicycle events, running events, film/photography events, and other larger-scale events are prohibited over Memorial Day Weekend, on the Fourth of July, and over Labor Day weekend.

The following areas are closed to the issuance of any Special Use Permits:

  • MP 241.1 Bluffs Lodge and surrounding grounds
  • MP 294.0 Bass Lake
  • MP 302.8 Rough Ridge Overlook and boardwalk
  • MP 305.2 Beacon Heights left fork trail (May be permitted at the end of the right fork trail)
  • MP 316.4 Linville Falls
  • MP 339.5 Crabtree Falls
  • MP 364.1 Craggy Gardens Pinnacle Trail, Pinnacle Scenic View, and Craggy Dome Parking Area (May be permitted at Craggy Flats Bald)
  • MP 418.8 Graveyard Fields
  • MP 422.4 Devil’s Courthouse
  • MP 451.2 Waterrock Knob

All other locations are considered on a case-by-case basis

UAV/Drone use is prohibited within the boundary of the Blue Ridge Parkway.


As required by regulation (54 USC §103104), there are cost recovery fees for Special Use Permits. The current basic fees for permits on the Blue Ridge Parkway are as follows (fees subject to change):

  • Wedding permits - $60 application fee, $40 administrative fee – total $100.00
  • Other Special Use Permits - $60 application fee, $135 administrative fee – total $195.00
  • We only accept electronic payments for SUP fees. We do not accept cash or checks.
  • An event requiring additional NPS (National Park Service) management and monitoring will be charged cost recovery for the actual cost of NPS personnel, equipment, travel and other related items. These costs will be calculated and billed after the conclusion of the event.

To Apply for a Special Use Permit

  1. Download the application for a Special Use Permit here.
  2. Pay application fee online at To pay fees at
    • Search for “Blue Ridge Parkway”
    • Click “Continue” under “Blue Ridge Parkway Special Use Permit Fees”
    • Complete the form and submit payment
    • A permit number is not required to pay the application fee
    • We do not accept cash or checks
  3. After payment is made, e-mail the completed application to:

Permit applications must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the event date, to allow review and processing.

Other Activities That Require Use-Specific Permits

General Reservation Information

  • Reservations for parkway campgrounds can be made at
  • Information regarding backcountry campsites
  • Reservations are not required, nor accepted, for any picnic area on the Blue Ridge Parkway. All picnic areas are first-come, first-served. A permit is not required for general family/group picnicking in a designated picnic area.
  • Reservations for the Peaks of Otter Lodge or the Pisgah Inn must be made directly through their individual websites.



Last updated: January 23, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

199 Hemphill Knob Rd
Asheville, NC 28803


828 348-3400

Contact Us