Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to many common and some not-so-common questions asked by our visitors. If you feel we've left one out, please let us know!


Can I reserve a campsite?
Yes. In fact, from March 1 through October 31, individual sites at Devils Garden Campground must be reserved in advance. Read more about camping.

What facilities does the campground have?
Devils Garden has 50 sites with fire rings, picnic tables, bathrooms and running water (no showers). RV hookups are not available. Read more about camping.

Can I backpack in Arches?
Effective September 6, 2016, overnight backpacking is suspended for the duration of a special project.

What about winter camping?
During the winter (November 1 through February 28), 24 campsites are available, first-come, first-served. Read more about camping.

What's the maximum RV length in the campground?
Some sites will accommodate RVs up to 30 feet long.

Is there an RV dump station in the park?
No. There are RV dump stations in Moab.

Guided Hikes

How can I get Fiery Furnace tickets?
Tickets for these popular guided walks can be reserved online. Read more about ranger-led programs.


Are pets allowed in Arches?
Yes, but they are not allowed on hiking trails. Read more about visiting with your pet.

Can I ride my ATV in Arches?
No, off-highway vehicles (ATVs, UTVs, etc.) are not allowed. Read more about park regulations.

Can I fly my drone in Arches?
No, launching, landing or operating unmanned aircraft (such as drones, quadcopters, or model airplanes) is prohibited. Read more about park regulations.

Can I get married in Arches?
Yes, though a special use permit is required.

Can I film a movie in Arches?
All commercial photography and filming requires a special use permit.

Facilities & Services

What facilities or services does Arches offer?
Aside from the visitor centers and bathrooms, there are no facilities in Arches. Gas, groceries, lodging and other amenities are available in Moab. Read more about area goods and services.

Do you accept checks?
Yes, we take personal, business, and travelers checks for entrance/tour fees and travelers checks for bookstore purchases. All checks must be drawn in U.S. dollars from a U.S. bank. Personal checks $50.00 and over must include a social security number. Business checks $50.00 and over must include a tax ID number.

Do you accept credit cards?
Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express are accepted for entrance/tour fees. Visa, MasterCard, and Discover are also accepted for bookstore purchases.

Can I get information mailed to me?
Yes, you may request mailed information by contacting us. However, please consider that all published brochures and newspapers are available on this website. If you're doing a school project on Arches, check out our Student Information Brochure.

Where can I get extra brochures?
Canyonlands Natural History Association operates the bookstores in our visitor center and sells the official Arches National Park brochure that is handed out at the entrance station. You can visit them online at

Where can I buy an item I saw in your visitor center?
Canyonlands Natural History Association operates the bookstores in our visitor centers. Visit them online at

Does the park close at night?
No, the park never closes. The visitor center is open daily at least from 9 am to 4 pm, (except Christmas), with extended hours spring through fall. Read more about operating hours and seasons.

How do I get an entrance fee waiver?
Fee waivers are available to educational groups when the purpose of their visit is educational rather than recreational. Learn how to apply for an entrance fee waiver.

What is the weather?
Current weather and local forecasts are available from the National Weather Service.

Are there public phones in the park?
There are pay phones available outside the visitor center. There are no pay phones at the campground.

Will my cell phone work in Arches?
Cell phone users may find limited coverage in some areas of the park. In other areas, coverage is poor to nonexistent. Do not count on being able to receive service. Read more about area goods and services.


Can I volunteer at Arches?
Yes! The National Park Service needs volunteers throughout the year to assist with all aspects of park management. Read more about volunteer opportunities.

How do I get a job at Arches?
Learn more about Working With Us

Park Facts

When was Arches established?
On April 12, 1929, Arches became a National Monument.
On November 12, 1971, Arches became a National Park.

How big is the park?
76,519 acres or 119 square miles

What is the elevation here? At the campground? At the highest point?
Arches Visitor Center sits at just over 4,000 feet (1,219m) in elevation.
Devils Garden Campground is just over 5,000 feet (1524m) in elevation.
The highest point in the park is the top of Elephant Butte in the Windows section, at 5,653 feet (1,723m). It can only be reached by a technical climb.

How many arches are in the park?
No one knows for sure. Over 2,000 have been recorded. Some may have fallen and new arches may yet be forming.

What is the largest arch? What is the tallest arch?
The light opening beneath Landscape Arch is 306 feet (93.3 meters) across. Double Arch South has a vertical light opening of 112 feet (34.1 meters). Read more about Arches' rock stars.

How tall is Delicate Arch?
The light opening beneath Delicate Arch is 46 feet (14 m) high. The entire rock span is around 60 feet (18 m) tall.

Why are the rocks red?
Most of the sandstones in the park contain iron oxide. It takes as little as 1-3% iron to color the rocks red.

Why is some rock green near Delicate Arch and along Highway 191?
Those rocks contain iron in a reduced (non-oxidized) state. Depending on the conditions under which a rock was formed, iron can color rocks red, black, orange, purple, or greenish grey.

How much (or how little) rain falls here?
Arches averages 8-10 inches (20-25cm) of precipitation annually. Most of that water falls in spring and late-summer rains, though the park also receives snowfalls of 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) most winters. Read more about park weather.

How many visitors come to Arches every year?
In 2010, the park received over one million visitors. Unlike many parks, our visitation numbers are increasing every year. Read more about park visitation statistics.

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

PO Box 907
Moab, UT 84532


(435) 719-2299

Contact Us