Memorialization (Scattering Ashes)


Gatherings and commercial activities in national parks often require a special use permit. The purpose of these permits is to ensure the protection of the park's natural and cultural resources, as well as to minimize conflicts between park visitors and your guests.

You must have a permit to scatter ashes in the park. There are some requirements on where you may scatter ashes. We recommend conducting your memorial early in the day, when there will be fewer crowds and more privacy.


  • Your group size is limited to six people.
  • You may scatter ashes on land only, away from cultural features, in an area which will not impact other visitors.
  • You may not leave any monument, cairn, or other marker at the site.
  • You may not bury human ashes.
  • Your event must comply with all other park regulations.


Total fee is $85. Please pay via Park entrance fees also apply.

  • Non-refundable Application Fee - $55
    This fee is based on an average time it takes to provide initial contact and consultation with permittees and initial review of a standard application or project.
  • Administrative Fees - $30
    Once a request is approved, this fee covers the costs associated with issuing a standard permit. This fee includes, but is not limited to, the average time it takes for processing fees, permit development, consultations with the permittee, managerial consultations and billing.

Applicants should submit payments via To make a payment:

  • Enter "SEUG" in the search window.
  • Payment will be made at: Canyonlands and Arches NP & Natural Bridges and Hovenweep NM Special Use Permit – click on “continue to the form."
  • Check which park your Special Use Permit is for. Under Permit Fee click on Permit and select which type of Special Use Permit you are requesting.
  • Enter a total dollar amount for the type of Special Use Permit you are requesting.
  • Follow the instructions and fill out the forms
  • Save your payment confirmation; you will submit this with your application.

How to Apply

Please complete Form 10-930s (821k Word document) and submit it along with your payment confirmation to the email address listed on the application form. You can also mail a completed application with a check or money order (made out to National Park Service) to the address below:

Special Park Use Coordinator
Southeast Utah Group
2282 Resource Blvd.
Moab, Utah 84532

We will handle applications in the order we receive them. We can process standard requests in 10 business days. Projects that need additional environmental compliance require a minimum of four weeks to process.

The Chief Ranger's Office issues special event permits by authority of the park superintendent.



For questions or additional information, please contact the Special Park Uses coordinator at (435) 719-2123 or email us.

Last updated: November 21, 2019

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

PO Box 907
Moab, UT 84532


(435) 719-2299

Contact Us