Special Use Permits

A group canoeing on the Yukon River

NPS/Josh Spice

Special Use Permits are required prior to short-term events or activities that take place in an area managed by the National Park Service and:
  • Provide a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large
  • Are not in conflict with law or policy
  • Will not result in derogation of the values and purposes for which the preserve was established
  • Do not present a threat to public safety or property and do not unduly interfere with normal preserve operations, resource protection, or visitor use
  • Are neither initiated, sponsored, nor conducted by the National Park Service
Examples of events or activities requiring a Special Use Permit include but are not limited to the following: special assemblies, athletic events or races, temporary access requests, first amendment activities, groups with 12 or more participants, etc.

If you are uncertain whether a Special Use Permit is necessary for your proposed activity, please contact the preserve.
"No Drone Zone" drones prohibited symbol by Federal Aviation Administration

No Drone Zone

Launching, landing or operating unmanned or remote controlled aircraft in Yukon-Charley Rivers is prohibited.

Learn more about regulations pertaining to the use of unmanned aircraft in the national parks.

Yukon-Charley Rivers map depicting eligible wilderness areas
Click the map to view larger

Special Use Permits in Wilderness Areas

Much of Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve is eligible for wilderness designation (see map). According to National Park Service Wilderness Management Policies, eligible wilderness is managed as designated until it is either officially designated, or removed from consideration, both of which require an Act of Congress. Under the Wilderness Act of 1964, wilderness areas have additional laws and policies to preserve their wilderness character for future generations. Filming activities in wilderness must follow all applicable laws and regulations that govern wilderness areas in the park, including prohibitions on structures, installations, motor vehicles, mechanical transport, motorized equipment, motorboats, and (with the exception of the Upper Charley River drainage) helicopter landings. Note that unmanned aircraft fall under the categories of “motorized equipment” and “mechanical transport” and are therefore prohibited in all NPS wilderness areas.

Learn more about working in wilderness in Alaska.


How to Apply

  1. Please email the park for an Application for Special Use Permit.
  2. A non-refundable administrative fee of $200 is required in most cases. Payment may be made in the form of a cashier’s check or money order payable to “National Park Service” and mailed to:

National Park Service
Fairbanks Administrative Center
4175 Geist Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709

To pay with a charge card, please contact the SUP Fee Administrator at (907) 459-3730.

Application Deadlines

For simple permit requests, applications must be received at least three weeks prior to proposed start date.
For more complex requests, applications must be received six weeks in advance.

Insurance Requirement

General liability insurance must be carried by the permittee showing the “U.S. Government, National Park Service, Fairbanks Administrative Center, 4175 Geist Rd, Fairbanks, AK 99709” as additionally insured. Short term policies must show coverage on "occurrence" basis. The minimum amount of commercial liability insurance is one million dollars. Additional amounts may be required for high-risk activities.


If you are uncertain whether a Special Use Permit is necessary for a proposed activity, please contact the park to discuss.

Permit Coordinator
National Park Service
Fairbanks Administrative Center
4175 Geist Road, Fairbanks, Alaska 99709-3420
Email us.
Looking for a different kind of use permit? See the options below.

Last updated: January 6, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

101 Dunkel St
Suite 110

Fairbanks, AK 99701



Contact Us