Subsistence Use Cabin, Firewood, and Cache Permits

A man splitting firewood in winter

NPS/Josh Spice

Permitting the Use of Cabins, Firewood, and Caches by Federally Qualified Local Subsistence Users

In addition to protecting the resources related to subsistence needs, Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve provides the opportunity for local rural residents engaged in a subsistence way of life to continue to do so. Federally qualified local subsistence users do not need a federal permit to engage in subsistence hunting, fishing, and trapping on national preserve lands (ANILCA Section 203 & Section 1313).

National Park Service (NPS) permits are, however, required for the following activities:

Cabin Use

  • Use of federally owned cabins by federally qualified local subsistence users for subsistence purposes is allowable under permit (36 CFR 13.160).

  • All NPS public use cabin permits are issued on the basis of shared, non-exclusive use.

Caching of Supplies

  • Construction and use of a barrel cache or wooden platform cache is allowable under permit.

Tree Cutting

  • Subsistence use of standing timber greater than 3 inches at ground height is allowable under permit (36 CFR 13.485). There are no restrictions (and no permit is required) for cutting of timber less than 3" in diameter for subsistence purposes (36 CFR 13.485).

How to Apply

Please contact the preserve for a Special Use Permit application.

Eagle Visitor Center
P.O. Box 167, Eagle, AK 99738

National Park Service
Fairbanks Administrative Center
4175 Geist Road, Fairbanks, AK 99709

Completed applications can be returned to the park via email or regular post to the Fairbanks office.

What Happens Next?

The National Park Service reviews all permit applications to ensure adherence to law and policy, protection of preserve resources, and the application of consistent guidelines for all users. Processing time usually takes 30 - 60 days but may be longer depending on the complexity of the request. Under law, public use cabin permits require a 60 day public notice period (36 CFR 13.110) and this will extend the permit preparation time.

For More Information

Permit Coordinator
Fairbanks Administrative Center
4175 Geist Road, Fairbanks, Alaska 99709-3420
Email us.
Looking for a different kind of use permit? See the options below.

Last updated: March 12, 2021

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

101 Dunkel St
Suite 110

Fairbanks, AK 99701



Contact Us