Film & Photography Permits

Three photographers photograph sunset over the Yukon River

NPS/Josh Spice

Current Guidance - November 1, 2022

Most questions regarding permitting for commercial filming and still photography are answered on the NPS national webpage for Filming & Still Photography. This is a great resource.

Additional park-specific information related to drone use, working in wilderness and how to apply for a film permit for Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve is available below.

Lands of the United States were set aside by Congress, Executive Order, or otherwise acquired in order to conserve and protect areas of untold beauty and grandeur, historical importance, and uniqueness for future generations. The tradition of capturing images of these special places started with explorers who traveled with paint and canvas or primitive photo apparatus. It was the sharing of these images that led to the designation of these areas as national parks and monuments. Visitors to national parks today continue to memorialize their visits through videos and photographs.

"No Drone Zone" drones prohibited symbol by Federal Aviation Administration

No Drone Zone

Launching, landing or operating unmanned or remote controlled aircraft in Yukon-Charley Rivers is prohibited.

Learn more about regulations pertaining to the use of unmanned aircraft in the national parks.

Yukon-Charley Rivers map depicting eligible wilderness areas
Click the map to view larger

Filming in Wilderness Areas

Much of Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve is eligible for wilderness designation (see map). According to National Park Service Wilderness Management Policies, eligible wilderness is managed as designated until it is either officially designated, or removed from consideration, both of which require an Act of Congress. Under the Wilderness Act of 1964, wilderness areas have additional laws and policies to preserve their wilderness character for future generations. Filming activities in wilderness must follow all applicable laws and regulations that govern wilderness areas in the park, including prohibitions on structures, installations, motor vehicles, mechanical transport, motorized equipment, motorboats, and (with the exception of the Upper Charley River drainage) helicopter landings. Note that unmanned aircraft fall under the categories of “motorized equipment” and “mechanical transport” and are therefore prohibited in all NPS wilderness areas.

Learn more about working in wilderness in Alaska.

How to Apply

1. Please email the park for an Application for Special Use Permit Commercial Filming and Still Photography.

2. A non-refundable administrative fee of $200 is required in most cases. Payment may be made in the form of a cashier’s check or money order payable to “National Park Service” and mailed to:

National Park Service
Fairbanks Administrative Center
4175 Geist Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709

To pay with a charge card, please contact the SUP Fee Administrator at (907) 459-3730.

Application Deadlines

For simple permit requests, applications must be received at least three weeks prior to proposed start date.
For more complex requests, applications must be received six weeks in advance.

Insurance Requirement

General liability insurance must be carried by the permittee showing the “U.S. Government, National Park Service, Fairbanks Administrative Center, 4175 Geist Rd, Fairbanks, AK 99709” as additionally insured. Short term policies must show coverage on "occurrence" basis. The minimum amount of commercial liability insurance is one million dollars. Additional amounts may be required for high-risk activities.


Please email us directly for more information about commercial filming and to discuss ways to minimize potential impacts to subsistence users, visitors and sensitive park resources.

Looking for a different kind of use permit? See the options below.

Last updated: January 6, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

101 Dunkel St
Suite 110

Fairbanks, AK 99701



Contact Us