Our main collection is available during regular office hours. Books and magazines can be viewed and checked out by park staff and partners. If you are eligible to check out library items, please print, complete and bring this Yosemite Research Library (YRL) Borrower Agreement [49 kb PDF] and photo ID to the Library.
Our special collections, including the vast photo collection and the reserve book collection, can be accessed and viewed under the supervision of library staff. Special care is taken with these collections and these items must remain in the library.
Inter-Library Loan (ILL)
Since the library is primarily intended for the use of Yosemite National Park staff, ILL is at the discretion of the Librarian. When possible, ILLs will be accommodated.
Please feel free to read through the YRL Access Guidelines [17 kb PDF] for more information.
The Library may reproduce materials except in the following situations:
- When materials could be damaged due to flattening of the binding or exposure to light.
- When copying violates copyright law.
For all reproductions, cost recovery fees are as follows:
- Black-and-white Copies: $0.25/page
- Image Scans: $15.00/image
- Document Scans: $1.50/page
There is a $5.00 charge to burn scans to a CD and a 3% charge for credit card purchases. Checks can be made payable to the Yosemite Conservancy.
All research requests should be made via email or fax (209/372-0255). There are two types of research requests: image requests and general requests. With one full-time librarian, YRL resources are limited. The librarian is happy to assist with research projects on-site, but may be unable to assist with large research projects or extensive image searches.
When making a request, please provide as much information as possible, including the following (when applicable):
- Detailed topic description
- Previously seen location of image, information or document (i.e. website, book, magazine, etc.)
- For what the image will be used
- Time frame (please be as specific as possible)
- Image size or quality requirements
- Preferred format (we typically send TIFFs)
- Mailing address
- Phone number(s)
- Email address
- Payment method
- Other notes or comments that will clarify your needs and/or delivery of the requested materials