Last updated: August 8, 2023
The Rim Trail stretches from its beginning in the south at Bryce Point 5.5 miles (8.9 km) north to Fairyland Point. As it follows the edge of the Bryce Amphitheater area of the park, it connects to Inspiration Point, Sunset Point, and Sunrise Point providing a relatively easy hike (depending on how much of it you do) that offers spectacular views of the park's most popular area.
- Trailhead: Bryce, Inspiration, Sunset, Sunrise, or Fairyland Point.
- Parking: Available at each trailhead above (check when parking lots are busiest). With the exception of Fairyland Point, oversized vehicles are not permitted in these parking areas when the shuttle is in operation.
- Distance: 1.0 mile to 11.0 miles (1.6 km to 17.7 km) depending on how far you choose to walk.
- Bryce to Inspiration: 1.5 miles (2.4 km)
- Inspiration to Sunset: 0.7 miles (1.1 km)
- Sunset to Sunrise: 0.5 miles (0.8 km)
- Sunrise to Fairyland 2.8 miles (4.5 km)
- Approximate Time: 1 hour to 7.5 hours
- Elevation Gain: 719 feet (219 meters)
- Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
- Services: Accessible restrooms available at Sunset Point (year-round) and available at the General Store near Sunrise Point (seasonally). Water-fill stations available at Sunset Point (seasonally), the Sunset Point restroom (year-round), and the General Store (seasonally).
- Shuttle Service: Yes. Available at Bryce, Inspiration, Sunset, and Sunrise Points. Fairyland does not have shuttle service.
- In winter, the 1.5 mile (2.4 km) section of the Rim Trail from Bryce Point to Inspiration Point is regularly closed.
- Pets are only allowed on the paved section of the Rim Trail between Sunrise and Sunset Points. Service animals are allowed in national parks. What is a service animal?
Yes with Restrictions
Pets are allowed on the Rim Trail only on the paved portion between Sunrise and Sunset Points. Please clean up after your pet.
Entrance fees may apply, see Fees & Passes information.
You can hike the Rim Trail beginning at Fairyland, Sunrise, Sunset, Inspiration, or Bryce Points and can hike any portion(s) you choose. All viewpoints listed here (except for Fairyland Point), has shuttle access.
Due to the park's natural terrain, only portions of the Rim Trail are considered accessible.
- Surface Type: Firm Native Sediment (Concrete for the portion of the trail between Sunrise and Sunset Points)
- Total Ascent: 200 feet (61 meters)
- Length: 1.0 mi (0.8km) roundtrip
- Typical Grade: 7.0%
- Maximum Grade: 20.0%
- Typical Width: 51 inches (129.5 cm)
- Minimum Width: 51 inches (129.5 cm)