- No advance reservations are needed to visit the preserve
- Two week minimum advanced reservation needed for ranger-led group and school tours
- Research Permits - for scientific and collecting activities - follow this link to register for a research permit at the preserve
- Fishing - A fishing permit is not required to fish in any of the three catch-and-release ponds or along Fox Creek, but a valid Kansas fishing license is required for Kansas residents between the ages of 16 through 74 and must be in their possession while fishing in Kansas. All nonresidents 16 and older must have a valid nonresident license to fish in Kansas.
Special Use Permits
Certain types of activities require a special use permit. These include many types of organized gatherings, distribution of printed material and other public expressions of opinion, and other activities that are controlled or prohibited. See the following definitions and examples to determine if your use might be included:
A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area, and that:
2.requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
3. is not prohibited by law or regulation
4. is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.
Examples of a First-Amendment Activity include: a church service or Freedom-of-Speech act
- Guidelines for commerical filming and photography (pdf 169 KB)
- Permit application for commercial filming and photography (Word document, 859 KB)
Please email us for following How to Apply for a Special Use Permit.
- How to Apply for a Special Use Permit (pdf 97 KB)
- Special use permit application (Word document, 836 KB). Download, print, and complete the form to apply for a special use permit. Mail the completed application to the address found at the top of the form.
Please email us for information on wedding permit rules.
- Please review the Wedding Permit Rules (PDF file, 107 KB) and determine if they are compatible with your event plans.
- Map Location for 1st Amendment Activities