Fees & Passes

Entrance Fee- Free
There is no charge to visit Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve or attend any of our many programs and activities.

Bus Tours - Free
Visit here for more details about our bus tours.

Group and School Tours - Free
Free guided tours for schools and organized groups may be reserved a minimum of two weeks in advance by calling (620) 273-8494 (hit 0).

National Park Passes
While there is no charge for visiting the preserve, the following information is provided for visitor use at other National Park Service sites that collect an entrance fee.

Beginning on January 1, 2007, the America the Beautiful-National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Passes replaced the Golden Age, Golden Access, Golden Eagle, and National Park Passes. The National Park Passes are NOT available at the preserve, but are available at the regional locations listed below.

*All Golden Age, Golden Access, Golden Eagle, and National Parks Passes will continue to be honored at applicable locations according to the provisions of the pass. Only paper Golden Age and Golden Access Passports may be exchanged free of charge for the new plastic passes.

A pass is your ticket to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites. Each pass covers entrance fees at national parks and national wildlife refuges as well as standard amenity fees (day use fees) at national forests and grasslands, and at lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. A pass covers entrance, standard amenity fees and day use fees for a driver and all passengers in a personal vehicle at per vehicle fee areas (or up to four adults at sites that charge per person). Children age 15 or under are admitted free.

Visit the America the Beautiful website to learn how to obtain the following passes and for a list of federal recreation sites, including national parks, where the passes are issued.

  • Annual Pass
  • Free Annual Pass for U. S. Military
  • Annual 4th Grade Pass
  • Senior Pass
  • Access Pass
  • Volunteer Pass

The preserve does not have camping available. The nearest location is five miles south on K177 in Cottonwood Falls at Bates Grove Park and Swope Park. Call the Cottonwood Falls City Office at 620-273-6666 for more information or ask a ranger for directions.

Chase State Fishing Lake, administered by Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (3 miles west of Cottonwood Falls) provides a shelter house, fire rings and grills, picnic tables, and pit toilets for use by campers, picnickers, and anglers.

Camping, picnicking, fishing, and hunting are available at Council Grove Reservoir (17 miles north of the preserve) and is administered by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Call the Council Grove Lake Office at 620-767-5195 for more information.

Last updated: June 19, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

2480B KS Hwy 177
Strong City, KS 66869


(620) 273-8494 xhit 0

Contact Us