The site is open seasonally, generally from the late spring through the early fall. However, it is always best to confirm before visiting. In season, we are open from 9:30 to 5:00pm.
Free, on-street parking is available in front of the house for up to 2 hours.
30 minute ranger-led tours of the house are offered every half hour starting at 10:00am with the last departing at 3:30pm. The house is open for self-guided tours from 12:00pm to 1:00pm and 4:00pm to 5:00pm. Free walking tours of the Kennedy's Brookline neighborhood are available. There is also a twelve minute site film.
We recommend allowing one hour for your visit to the John Fitzgerald Kennedy National Historic Site.
From 9:30 am to 3:30 pm the house can only be seen by guided tour. For a quicker visit, plan to come during the self-guided portion of the day, from 12 to 1pm or 4:00 to 5:00pm.
Admission is free to all park areas.
There is a diverse assortment of restaurants within easy walking distance of the site for a restaurant guide from the Brookline Chamber of Commerce.
Jack is a common nickname for John and it is what his family called him when he was growing up.
Yes! Jack was born in this house on May 29, 1917 around 3:00 o'clock in the afternoon. At that time it was actually quite common to give birth at home. The home was considered more sanitary than a hospital. When Jack was born, Mrs. Kennedy was attended by Dr. Goode, his assistant and a nurse. Dr. Goode delivered all nine of the Kennedy children!
The Kennedys lived in this house for six years, from 1914 to 1920. In 1920 they moved to another, larger home - that was just 3 blocks away!
There were nine children in the Kennedy family! Joe Jr. (b. 1915), Jack (b. 1917), Rosemary (b. 1918) and Kathleen (b. 1920) all lived in this house. Eunice (b. 1921), Patricia (b. 1924), Robert (b. 1925), Jean (b. 1928) and Teddy (b. 1932) joined the family after they had left this house.
May 26, 1967, when Congress passed Public Law 90-20 establishing this house as the John Fitzgerald Kennedy National Historic Site.
Mrs. Kennedy, Jack's mother, created this house as a living memorial to her son, John F. Kennedy. Her goal was to restore the house to the way it was when her family lived here between 1914 and 1920. However, she had to base her reconstruction solely on her memories of the family's time here, as she had no photographs of the interior of the house from that time.
19%, or 172 objects in the house, were used by the Kennedy family when they lived here. Some of the original objects include Jack's bassinet and his porringer.
Mr. Kennedy bought this house in 1914. At that time he was working as the president of a local bank, the Columbia Trust Company, located in East Boston.
Mr. Kennedy purchased this house in 1914 for $6,500.
The house was built in 1909.
The Kennedy family first sold the property to Edward E. and Mary H. Moore in September, 1920. The Moores were close friends of the Kennedys; in fact the youngest Kennedy, Edward Moore Kennedy, is named after Edward Moore! After the Moores, the house then passed through several owners before being bought back from Mrs. Martha Pollack by the Kennedy family in 1966.
Q: My question is not answered on this list!
Last updated: May 2, 2018