Currently the Old Courthouse is closed and the libary and archives are not open to the public, but some reference services are available via email or phone. The library, museum collections and archives will be moving off-site and will not be available during the packing, move, and unpacking in the new location. Specific dates are not yet available, but services may be limited as preparations begin.
The Gateway Arch National Park Archives is charged to preserve records and manuscripts that document the administrative history of the park and its associated themes. As the corporate memory of the Gateway Arch National Park formerly Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, the Archives also makes its resources available to the public in accordance with objectives outlined in the park's Statement for Management: To enhance and enlarge public understanding and appreciation of the significance of 19th century American westward expansion and of the related individual significance of the Old Courthouse, the Arch, and of the early development of St. Louis.
Materials may not be checked out, but may be used in the library reading room. The archives contains 40 individual collections. Most of the collections contain material relating to the development and administration of the Gateway Arch National Park site, including the construction of the Gateway Arch and visitor center and museum. Other collections contain materials that relate to the park's main theme of St. Louis's role in the settlement of the American West.
The archives contains many visual images of the park and other subjects. Please contact the archivist for assistance with park images.
You can contact Archivist Jennifer Clark with research questions at 11 North Fourth Street St. Louis, MO 63102 Phone: 314-655-1600 Fax: 314-655-1652
Last updated: June 15, 2021