Easy to Moderate, 1-3 miles (1.6-4.8 km) round trip with optional side trails, 30 min - 2 hours
Visitors to the Murphy-Chambers Farm hike through fields and wooded ravines to see spectacular views of the Shenandoah River and the surrounding mountains, as well as Civil War cannons and earthworks, and one of the previous locations of the John Brown Fort
- Trail is open during daylight hours. Closed from sunset to sunrise.
- The trail starts at the Visitor Center. From the Visitor Center, the trail crosses Shoreline Drive, goes down to a small creek and up to the unpaved farm entrance road. Here, hikers can stay on the road or go left and follow the tree line. Both trails lead to the overlook of the Shenandoah River.
- The trail can also be accessed from the Murphy-Chambers Farm parking area (123 Murphy Road, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425), which allows for an easy 0.75 mile stroll to the Shenandoah River overlook.
- Wayside exhibits.
- Near the overlook is the 1895-1909 site of the John Brown Fort and the Niagara Movement's 1906 pilgrimage. This was also the scene of Confederate General A.P. Hill's flanking maneuver in 1862.
- A few steps west of the overlook, hikers can follow a mulched trail that leads into the woods. This section of the trail goes to another view of the river and Civil War earthworks. Please stay off fragile earthworks. The trail loops back to the farm road or turns left across a footbridge for 0.5 miles one way to a small creek.
- Drinking water is available at the Visitor Center. During winter the outdoor fountains are turned off prevent damage due to freezing.
- Restrooms are available at the Visitor Center