Easy to Moderate, 0.3-2.4 miles (0.4-3.9 km) round trip with optional side trails, 15 min - 1 hour
This trail offers some of the best views of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Potomac River water gap, and the Shenandoah Valley with the least amount of walking.
- Trail is open during daylight hours. Closed from sunset to sunrise.
- Trail begins at the Bolivar Heights parking area (end of Whitman Avenue, Bolivar, WV 25425), with a 0.3-mile loop on top of Bolivar Heights. This is the best place to survey the terrain and ponder Civil War strategy. Cannon and earthworks reflect the violent history of this site.
- Wayside exhibits
- Walking the whole Bolivar Heights trail system yields bonus views of School House Ridge to the west. The 1.3-mile upper loop continues on the crest and then turns right, down a wooded trail to a lovely view of Schoolhouse Ridge. Here, hikers can continue through the field 1.1 miles on the Lower Loop towards Lower Bolivar Heights, or turn right and follow the tree line to another wooded trail back up to the Bolivar Heights parking area.
- From the lower loop a walk across Bakerton Road to connect to the Schoolhouse Ridge North Trail.
- Drinking Water is not available on this trail
- Restrooms (portable toilets) are available at the Bolivar Heights Parking Area