COVID-19 Updates (as of 9/23/2022)
The National Park Service is working service-wide with federal, state, and local public health authorities to closely monitor the COVID-19 pandemic. The NPS has updated its masking guidance based on the CDC’s new COVID-19 Community Levels tool, which helps communities decide what prevention steps to take. Based on the updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state and local public health authorities, access to Harpers Ferry National Historical Park is as follows:
- Because Harpers Ferry NHP is in an area with a Medium Community Level, masks are not currently required in park exhibits and buildings and on park shuttle buses. Visitors and staff are welcome to wear a mask if it makes them more comfortable.
- Shuttle buses are running from 9:00 a.m. until 6:45 p.m. daily. Masks are encouraged when riding the shuttle.
- Most exhibits and buildings, including restrooms and the Visitor Center, are open. Some exhibits (see Current Park Conditions below) remain closed.
While the listed areas are accessible for visitors to enjoy, a return to full operations will continue to be phased, and services may be limited. When recreating, please follow local area health orders and recreate responsibly by keeping social distance, wearing a face covering when social distance cannot be maintained, avoiding high risk activities, and staying home if you feel sick.
The CDC has offered guidance to help people recreating in parks and open spaces prevent the spread of infectious diseases. We will continue to monitor all park functions to ensure that visitors adhere to CDC guidance for mitigating risks associated with the transmission of COVID-19 and take any additional steps necessary to protect public health.
To see Closure Orders, visit the park's Laws & Policies page.
Current Park Conditions
For park, visitor center, and trail operating hours, please see Basic Information or Operating Hours and Seasons.
For park shuttle bus operating hours, please see Getting Around or Operating Hours and Seasons.
Park Areas Currently Closed
Multiple areas are closed or altered due to COVID-19 safety measures, conditions, or maintenance.
- Schoolhouse Ridge South trail partially closed - the southern loop of the Schoolhouse Ridge South trail is closed until further notice due to sinkholes.
- NOTE: the Schoolhouse Ridge South parking lot is currently closed on weekends due to ongoing safety issues.
- The Lower Town Information Center is not currently staffed by rangers. However, maps and information are available at the "Place in Time" exhibit space.
- Temporary closure of exhibit spaces - the following exhibit spaces are closed:
- Black Voices/African American History
- A. Burton Fine Watch Repair/Burton Jewelry Store
- Civil War Museum
- Harper House
- Officer's Quarters
Park Areas Currently Open
- The Visitor Center, hiking trails, and parking lots are all currently open.
- The following Lower Town exhibit spaces are currently open:
- 1862 Battle of Harpers Ferry
- Allies for Freedom
- Boarding House
- Dry Goods Store
- Industry Museum
- John Brown's Fort
- John Brown Museum
- Master Armorer's Quarters
- Meriwether Lewis at Harpers Ferry
- A Place in Time
- Philip Frankel & Co./Ready-Made Clothing
- Provost Marshal Office
- Reading an Old Building - archeology exhibit
- Storer College & the Niagara Movement
- White Hall Tavern