COVID-19 Updates (as of 7/30/2021)
The National Park Service is working service-wide with federal, state, and local public health authorities to closely monitor the COVID-19 pandemic. Based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state and local public health authorities, access to Harpers Ferry National Historical Park is as follows:
- Most exhibits and buildings, including restrooms, are open. The Harpers Ferry Visitor Center and some exhibits (see Current Park Conditions below) remain closed.
- Shuttle buses are running from 9:00 a.m. until 6:45 p.m. daily. Masks are REQUIRED when riding the shuttle, regardless of vaccination status.
- Audiovisual elements (park film, videos in exhibits, etc.) are currently unavailable to limit crowding and encourage social distancing.
- Consistent with CDC guidance regarding areas of substantial or high transmission, all visitors, regardless of vaccination status, are required to wear masks inside all park buildings.
- Consistent with CDC recommendations, people who are not fully vaccinated must continue to wear masks outdoors where social distancing cannot be maintained and in designated areas.
While the listed areas are accessible for visitors to enjoy, a return to full operations will continue to be phased, and services may be limited. When recreating, please follow local area health orders and recreate responsibly by keeping social distance, wearing a face covering when social distance cannot be maintained, avoiding high risk activities, and staying home if you feel sick.
The CDC has offered guidance to help people recreating in parks and open spaces prevent the spread of infectious diseases. We will continue to monitor all park functions to ensure that visitors adhere to CDC guidance for mitigating risks associated with the transmission of COVID-19 and take any additional steps necessary to protect public health.
To see Closure Orders, visit the park's Laws & Policies page.
Current Park Conditions
Multiple areas are closed or altered due to conditions or maintenance.
- Schoolhouse Ridge South trail partially closed - the southern loop of the Schoolhouse Ridge South trail is closed until further notice due to sinkholes.
- Temporary closure of exhibit spaces - the following exhibit spaces are closed:
- Ready-Made Clothing
- Black Voices/African American History
- Defeat & Victory: The 1862 Battle of Harpers Ferry
- Civil War Museum