There are hundreds of miles of unpaved roads in Canyonlands, providing access to various campsites, trailheads, and viewpoints in the park's backcountry. Most roads require high-clearance, low range four-wheel-drive. These roads range in difficulty from intermediate to extremely technical. Research your route thoroughly before attempting these roads.
If you plan to enjoy the park's four-wheel-drive roads, please be aware of the following:
- A high-clearance, low range four-wheel-drive vehicle is required on the White Rim Road and all backcountry roads at The Needles and The Maze. Other vehicles with two-wheel drive or all-wheel drive do not have the ground clearance or low gearing to negotiate the rough slickrock, loose rocks, deep sand and steep switchbacks found on these roads.
- All vehicles must remain on designated roads.
- ATVs, UTVs and OHVs are not permitted. Motorbikes must be equipped and licensed for interstate travel.
- All vehicles must be registered and operated by a licensed driver.
- Pets are not permitted, even in the vehicle.
- Road conditions can change quickly following rain or snow. Check road conditions.