Updated September 14, 2018
- Scenic Drive: open
- Elephant Hill Access Road: passable
- Colorado River Overlook 4WD Road: passable
- Elephant Hill 4WD Road: passable
- Lavender Canyon 4WD Road: passable
- Horse Canyon 4WD Road: passable with areas of quicksand.
- Peekaboo 4WD Road: passable with areas of quicksand.
Even when rated as "passable," four-wheel-drive roads in The Needles are challenging. Depending on the season, you can expect ice, up to two feet of water, quicksand, vegetation or rock outcrops that could scratch a vehicle, or debris that you must negotiate while staying within the boundary of the road. We recommend traveling in groups of two or more vehicles—both with winches—in order to facilitate self-rescue. Park rangers do not winch vehicles out; see Backcountry Travel Advisory below. Do not attempt any roads if there is a forecast for heavy rains, which lead to flash flooding. Never cross flooded roads.
Rain and snow can quickly change unpaved roads to four-wheel-drive condition or make them impassable. Weather
You must have a permit on some Needles roads.