Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to many common-and some not so common-questions asked by our visitors. If you feel we've left one out, please let us know!


Can I reserve a campsite?
Sites at the developed campgrounds (Squaw Flat and Willow Flat) are first-come, first-served. Reservations are available for backcountry permits, river permits and for group campsites in the Needles District.

What time do the campgrounds fill?
Fill times vary throughout the year. During spring and fall it is not uncommon for both campgrounds to fill early in the morning. During summer and winter, they may not fill at all.

What facilities do the campgrounds have?
The Squaw Flat Campground has 26 sites with fire rings, picnic tables, bathrooms and running water. The Willow Flat Campground has 12 sites with fire rings, picnic tables and pit toilets (no running water). Hookups are not available at either location.

What's the maximum RV length in the campgrounds?
On average, the Squaw Flat and Willow Flat campgrounds will accommodate RVs up to 28 feet long. Squaw Flat (in the Needles) has a few sites that will accommodate longer vehicles.

Backcountry & River Permits

How do I get a backcountry permit?
Backcountry permits may be obtained online or at district visitor centers and may be reserved in advance.

When can I make a reservation?
Reservations must be made no more than four months, and no less than two days, prior to the permit start date. Please visit the backcountry permits page for more information.

Where is the reservation form?
Reservations can be made online at

Can I reserve a permit over the phone?
No, we do not accept reservations by phone.

Where can I get a good map?
We offer several on our maps page. Full-size, printed maps are available from the Canyonlands Natural History Association.

Is there a list for cancellations?
No, we do not maintain a list for cancelled reservations. All cancelled reservations are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

How do I get a river permit?
River permits are issued by the reservation office in Moab and may be mailed in advance.

Is there a lottery for river permits?
No. Essentially, river permits are first-come, first-served after the first business day in January for each calendar year. There are no daily launch limits in Canyonlands, so there is no need to submit mulitiple requests for the same date. If you submit a request, you will get a permit...for any date you choose.

What is the river flow?
Local river flows are available from the US Geological Survey.

What companies offer shuttle services?
For a list of shuttle services to destinations throughout the area, visit

General Information

Are pets allowed in Canyonlands?
Yes, but they are not allowed on trails or in the backcountry, even in a vehicle. More…

What facilities or services does Canyonlands offer?
Aside from the visitor centers and bathrooms, there are no facilities in Canyonlands. Gas, groceries, lodging and other amenities are available in nearby towns. More…

Can I ride my ATV in Canyonlands?
No, ATVs are not allowed. More…

What vehicles are suitable for the four-wheel-drive roads in Canyonlands?
Standard four-wheel-drive vehicles, with high-clearance and a low gear range, are recommended for all four-wheel-drive roads in Canyonlands. Modified vehicles (lift kits, etc.) are not required. Visitors attempting these roads with low-clearance or all-wheel-drive hatchbacks, sedans or vans run a much greater risk of damaging their vehicles. Towing charges are very expensive. Visitors caught in the backcountry with disabled vehicles can expect towing fees in excess of $1,000.

Can I get information mailed to me?
Yes, you may request mailed information by contacting us. However, please consider that all published brochures and newspapers are available on this website.

Where can I get extra brochures?
Canyonlands Natural History Association operates the bookstores in our visitor center and sells the official park brochure that is handed out at entrance stations. You can visit them online at

Where can I buy an item I saw in your visitor center?
Canyonlands Natural History Association operates the bookstores in our visitor centers. Visit them online at

Does the park close at night?
No, the park never closes. Spring through fall, visitor centers are open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with extended hours some weeks. More…

How do I get an entrance fee waiver?
Fee waivers are available to educational groups when the purpose of their visit is educational rather than recreational. More…

What is the weather?
Current weather and local forecasts are available from the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Salt Lake City.

Will my cell phone work in Canyonlands?
Cell phone coverage is poor to nonexistent throughout Canyonlands. Satellite phones are the only reliable means of communication, especially in the river corridors and tributary canyons. More...

Can I volunteer at Canyonlands?
Yes! The National Park Service needs volunteers throughout the year to assist with all aspects of park management. More…

How do I get a job at Canyonlands?
Canyonlands hires a variety of both seasonal and permanent positions. More...

Can I get married in Canyonlands?
Yes, though a special use permit is required.

Can I film a movie in Canyonlands?
All commercial photography and filming requires a special use permit.

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

2282 Resource Blvd.
Moab, UT 84532



Contact Us