Permits & Reservations

Three tour buses in a parking lot with elderly visitors waiting nearby
Depending on the requested activity or the number of people in the group, a Special Use Permit (SUP) may be required.  Tour bus operators often require a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA).

NPS Photo


Special Use Permits

A Special Use Permit is a short-term activity that takes place in a park area and provides a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large. The National Park Service may permit a special park use providing the activity will not cause derogation of the park's resources or values, visitor experiences, or the purpose for which the park was established. Primary concern will be given to the potential for resource damage and to anticipated disruption of normal public use.

Special Use Permits must be obtained in advance. Permit processing typically takes 30 days but could be longer for larger events that require park participation in planning or for events that require that a park monitor be present for the event.

Although most activities do not require insurance, large events do, so it pays to apply well in advance of your large event. All permits require an application and a non-refundable application fee. Depending on the type of activity, additional fees may apply.

Examples of events that require a Special Use Permit are cultural programs, picnics, festivals, wedding ceremonies, film and photography projects, static displays, etc.

Within your application, the Superintendent will look for a meaningful association between the park and the event and how the event contributes to visitor understanding of the park's significance. Conflicts with other events and park staffing are other considerations taken into account during the approval process.


Group Reservations

Looking to coordinate a group trip (10 people or more) to Steamtown National Historic Site?  Send us an e-mail with some basic information to help start the planning process:

  • Date of proposed visit, and any alternate options.
  • Number of group members.
  • Type of group (adult, youth, education, recreation, etc.).
  • Activity requested.
  • Contact information.

NOTE: Sending an e-mail does not automatically approve your request.

Refund Policy

When train rides are available, tickets are non-refundable unless an event is cancelled by park management (equipment malfunction, inclement weather, etc). In the event you miss your short train ride, either the Scranton Limited or Caboose Experience, we can put you aboard the next ride as long as its not sold out or was the last train of the day.

If you miss the train for a special event or excursion program, tickets cannot be refunded or transferred. If you miss the return ride from a special event or excursion program, you are responsible for getting transportation back to your point of origin.


Tickets for Train Rides

Steamtown NHS train rides resume for the season on Saturday, May 4, 2024! If you or your group are planning to include train rides as part of your visit, here's how you can plan ahead and prepare:

NOTE: Tickets are also available on-site the day of your visit and require a credit card for purchase.

Groups looking to join an already-scheduled excursion, must purchase tickets online through just like all other visitors to Steamtown. Any requests for special reservations outside of an already-scheduled excursion will be required to submit an application through the Special Use Permit process outlined above.

2024 Pricing

Short Train Rides
General Admission (ages 6+) $6.00
Child under 6 years old (ages 0-5): $1.00

Excursions - pricing varies depending on the destination
Adult (ages 12-61) $25.00-$55.00;
Senior (ages 62+) $23.00-$50.00;
Youth (ages 3-11) $18.00-$33.00;
Child (ages 2 and under) $1.00

Last updated: April 15, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

150 South Washington Avenue
Scranton, PA 18503-2018


(570) 445-1898
General park information. Phone monitored 9am-5pm, daily

Contact Us