Permits & Reservations

Hikers taking a break on Bright Angel Trail.
Winter hikers taking a rest on Bright Angel Trail

Backcountry Permits

Backcountry Permits are required for:

  • overnight hiking
  • overnight horseback riding
  • overnight cross-country ski trips
  • off-river overnight hikes by river trip members
  • overnight camping at rim sites other than developed campgrounds
  • overnight camping on the North Rim during the winter season Read more...

People rafting on the Colorado River.
Rafters on the Colorado River.

Non-commercial Colorado River Trip Permits

River Permits are required for all non-commercial (private) river trips.
Permits for 2-5 Day Trips that launch from Diamond Creek are available to the public starting 1 year in advance and are distributed on a first-come first-serve basis.

Permits for 12-25 Day Trips that launch from Lees Ferry are made available to the public through a WEIGHTED LOTTERY. Read more...

Two people getting married on the rim of Grand Canyon.
Two people getting married on the rim of Grand Canyon.

Special Use Permits

Grand Canyon National Park is home to many beautiful landscapes which make it a popular place for weddings and special events.

Visit this page
to learn how to schedule facilities, weddings, special events, group rim to rim activities, First Amendment activities, and to obtain a permit for the scattering of cremation ashes.

Filming happening at Grand Canyon National Park.
Filming happening at Grand Canyon National Park.

Filming/Photography Permits

Generally filming permits are required and are issued for photography, filming, and associated sound recording when they involve props, models, professional crews, and casts or set dressings.

Permits are issued to ensure the protection of resources and to prevent significant disruption of normal visitor uses. Permits are also required for access to areas normally closed to the visiting public.
Read more....

A commercial bus.
A commercial bus.

Commercial Use Authorizations (for Tour Operators)

A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) is a permit that authorizes suitable commercial services for park visitors within Grand Canyon National Park. The term of a CUA may not exceed 2 years and no preferential right of renewal or similar provisions for renewal may be provided.

Grand Canyon National Park authorizes a variety of commercial services: transportation/ motor tours, bicycle tours, guided hikes and overnight backpacking and equipment rental/ delivery.

Visit this link to learn more...
Commercial river rafting.
Commercial river rafting.
For River Concessioners

Commercial River Operating Plan (284 kb PDF File - Updated January 2012)

Commercial River Operating Requirements (1.08 MB PDF File - Updated March 2016)
Botany research happening at Grand Canyon National Park.
Botany research happening at Grand Canyon National Park.

Scientific Research Permits

All studies in Grand Canyon National Park, large or small, must have their own Research & Collecting Permit which is obtained through a proposal and review process that requires approximately 90 days. More...

Last updated: August 7, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

PO Box 129
Grand Canyon, AZ 86023


(928) 638-7888

Contact Us