Fort Barry is a former 1908 army post, located in the Marin Headlands. Fort Barry encompasses the historic military post as well as several historic batteries, including Battery Mendell and Battery Alexander and the Point Bonita Lighthouse area. Come visit this historic area and enjoy the Lagoon and Coastal Trails, the panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and Rodeo Lagoon and explore Point Bonita.
Tips and Highlights
- Visit the Nike Missile Site and museum.
- Hike out to the Point Bonita Lighthouse.
- Take the South Rodeo Beach trail to Rodeo Cove.
- Picnic at Battery Wallace, near the Point Bonita Trailhead. This is one of the parks' most scenic picnic spots, complete with tables and grills (no water on site).
- Stay overnight at the Bicentennial Campground; reserve ahead of time.
- Fort Barry is home to a variety of wildlife and plant species, including the endangered Mission Blue butterfly, and its host plant, the silver lupine.
- Bathrooms are located by the parking lots for the Visitor Center and Battery Mendell.
- Bring snacks and water as there are no food vendors in the Marin Headlands.