The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA), authorizes Recreation Fees to be charged within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Eighty percent of the money is retained in the park and makes possible important visitor service and resource protection projects. Without you, the visitor, these improvements would not be possible. All FLREA passes are issued and accepted at Muir Woods National Monument. Please note, these passes do not apply at Alcatraz Island, which does not charge an entrance fee. The cost of the ferry ticket is not an entrance fee—there is no charge to visit the grounds of Alcatraz Island.
Reserving Tickets for Alcatraz Island
Ferries provide transportation to both Alcatraz Island. One ferry ticket provides access to the island. Alcatraz City Cruises is the official ferry service provider. Purchasing tickets through vendors other than Alcatraz City Cruises may result in unnecessary additional charges. All private vessels are prohibited from docking on the island.
The National Park Service recommends purchasing tickets prior to the day of your visit. You may use one of these methods to reserve tickets:
- By Telephone: 1-415-981-ROCK (1-415-981-7625)
- In Person: At the Pier 33 at the cross streets of Bay Street and Embarcadero in San Francisco.
Prices vary with tour package.
Muir Woods National Monument
Entrance fees may be purchased in advance with your reservation via GoMuirWoods.com
or upon arrival to the park. Entrance fees may also be covered by annual passes. Please visit the Fees and Passes
page for more information.
Presidio of San Francisco
- Battery East parking lot - Fees collected daily 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., $3/hour and $10/day.
- West Bluff parking lot - Fees collected daily 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., $3/hour and $10/day.
- Parking is available throughout the Presidio. Most parking areas are regulated by by either the Golden Gate National Recreation Area or the Presidio Trust. Regulations may vary in different areas of the Presidio. When parking, always follow posted regulations. For more information on the paid parking managed by the Presidio Trust see http://www.presidio.gov/transportation/driving-and-parking
Other Golden Gate National Recreation Area Sites
Special Park Uses