Contact: Michelle Fidler , 406 888-5838
Contact: Katelyn Liming , 406 888-7895
WEST GLACIER, MT.–Starting this fall, Glacier National Park will increase entrance fees and some campground fees. These fees are consistent with other large national parks.
The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA) is the legislation that allows the park to collect entrance and camping fees, and retain 80 percent of the collected revenue. The remaining 20 percent is distributed throughout the National Park System. Basic park operations are funded by direct appropriations from Congress.
Starting November 1, 2015, Glacier National Park will increase entrance fees and some frontcountry campsite fees. These fees reflect input from the civic engagement process Glacier National Park implemented in November 2014 following a nationwide National Park Service review of fees.
It is anticipated that these fee changes could potentially generate approximately an additional $500,000 annually for Glacier National Park, depending on the number and type of entrance passes and camping permits sold.The funds generated by fees are used for projects that enhance visitor services and facilities, including interpretive programs at campgrounds, the backcountry campsite reservation program, repair and restoration of trails, restoration of wildlife habitat, improvement and replacement of restroom facilities, preservation and maintenance of roads, and shuttle bus operation and maintenance.
The following tables summarize the fee increases:
Entrance Fee Increases
Summer fees are charged from May 1 to Oct 31, and winter fees are charged Nov 1 to April 30 each year.
Entrance fees are not charged to persons under 16 years of age. The fee increases do not affect other passes with the America the Beautiful- The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Program, including the $80 interagency and $10 senior passes, and the free access or military passes.For additional information about fees and passes in Glacier National Park, please visit https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/fees.htm.
The park had proposed increasing the annual park pass from $35 to $60;however based on feedback from the civic engagement process the fee will only be incrementally increased to $45 in January 2016, and then to $50 in January 2017.The last time park entrance fees at Glacier National Park were increased was in 2006.
Frontcountry Camping Fee Increases
Beginning in May 2016, the federal reservation system will also be used for approximately half of the camp sites at the Many Glacier Campground. The remaining sites not included on the reservation system will be first-come first-serve.
The Many Glacier Campground fee change is consistent with the other reservation campgrounds in the park, the Fish Creek and St. Mary Campgrounds.
Group camping sites are located at St. Mary, Apgar, Many Glacier and Two Medicine. Some are available by reservation and some are first-come first-serve.
For additional information about camping at Glacier National Park, please visit https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/camping.htm.
Backcountry Camping Fee Increases
Glacier National Park will also increase two fees for backcountry camping permits beginning in 2016.
Application processing fees, in addition to fulfilled permit fees, are currently charged for river permits in both Dinosaur National Monument and Grand Canyon National Park.
All backcountry permit revenue pays actual costs for running and staffing Glacier National Park's backcountry permit offices. The two fee adjustments and the use of other non-fee based funding sources for backcountry permit operations are designed to eliminate a substantial program funding deficit and to ensure the operation will recover actual costs incurred.
Glacier National Park began charging for overnight backcountry permits in 1997 with the goal of partially funding the program, however recent changes to backcountry permit program funding requirements necessitate full program cost recovery starting in fiscal year 2016.The park has determined that a fee increase, along with use of other established non-fee fund sources, is the best way to limit backcountry permit fee increases.
For information about permits and overnight hiking in Glacier National Park, please visit the park's backcountry camping page at https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm,
Glacier National Park is an economic driver in the state of Montana and surrounding region. A National Park Service report shows that approximately 2.3 million visitors to Glacier National Park in 2014 spent $193 million in communities near the park supporting 3,405 jobs in the local area.
For additional park information, visit the Glacier National Park's website at https://nps.gov/glacor call park headquarters at 406-888-7800.
Last updated: September 15, 2015