Doing Business With the Park

Federal regulations prohibit engaging in or soliciting any business in park areas, except in accordance with the provisions of a permit, contract, or other written agreement with the United States. As in other National Park Service areas, commercial visitor services or other commercial activities may be provided only by those holding an authorization from the United States.
In Glacier National Park, concessions contracts have been issued to provide certain visitor services. These services include transportation and tour services, food services, backpacking and day hiking guide services, boat tours and small boat rentals, horseback riding, lodging, and retail sales. No other businesses are currently authorized to provide these services in Glacier National Park.
Commercial Use Authorizations

A CUA allows an individual, group, company or other for-profit entity to provide commercial visitor services within a National Park area. Commercial activities are generally prohibited in National Parks unless authorized by a CUA or concessions contract.

Glacier National Park issues Commercial Use Authorizations for the following visitor services:

Summer (June 1 October 15)

  • Guided Bicycle Tours

  • Instructional Photography, Birding, or Art Workshops

  • Step-on Guide Services

Spring and Fall (Hiker/Biker Season)

  • Guided Bicycle Tours and Bicycle Shuttles

Winter/Spring (November 20 May 1)

  • Guided Cross-Country Skiing and Snowshoeing

If you are interested in providing commercial services under a CUA, please follow the above link, or e-mail us at glac_cua at to request more information. Specific requirements must be met including insurance coverage, guide training, and payment of authorization fees.


Frequently Asked Questions

A CUA is required if an entity provides a good, activity, service, or other function to visitors in a NPS managed area, uses park resources and results in compensation, monetary gain, benefit or profit.

We realize that these regulations are sometimes difficult to understand. If you think your activities might be “commercial,” or if you have questions about how your activity will be defined, would like clarification about the need for an authorization, or think your activity might conflict with rights already granted to a park concessioner, please contact our commercial services office at

Glacier Guides, Inc. currently is the only company authorized to provide guided day hike and backpacking services to the public in Glacier. Any commercial activities of this nature must be coordinated through Glacier Guides. They can be contacted by calling (406) 387-5555 or at We do not issue Commercial Use Authorizations or other permits for this service.

The only commercial operators authorized to conduct motor vehicle tours on the Going-to-the-Sun Road between Lake McDonald Lodge and Rising Sun are Glacier National Park Lodges and Sun Tours. Glacier National Park Lodges can be contacted at (855) 733-4522. Sun Tours, which operates interpretive tours highlighting Blackfeet culture and history, can be contacted at (406) 226-9220. Limited transportation may also be provided by Glacier Guides, Inc. in conjunction with guided backpacking or day hikes.

Non-scheduled, infrequent commercial motor vehicle tours are allowed to enter the park from the west to travel to Lake McDonald Lodge and from the east as far as the Rising Sun boat dock without written authorizations. These commercial tours are also allowed to travel to the Many Glacier and Two Medicine areas without additional authorization. Commercial tour entrance fees will be charged upon entry to Glacier National Park. No commercial transportation is available or authorized in the North Fork area on the inside North Fork Road.

Glacier National Park defines “commercial” services or activities as those that use park resources (including roads and trails) and result in compensation, monetary gain, benefit or profit to an individual, organization or corporation whether or not such entity is organized for purposes recognized as non-profit under local, state, or federal law. Gain is further defined as compensation beyond actual cost. A service or activity is considered “non-commercial” only if there is a bonafide equal sharing of actual expenses for the activity or service where there is no compensation, gain or means of barter accruing to the leader, group or organization.

Non-commercial activities, even when provided by a non-profit organization may require a Special Use Permit, depending on the type of activity.

Please contact the Fee Program/Special Use Permit Office at for additional information.

Last updated: June 28, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 128
West Glacier , MT 59936



Contact Us

Stay Connected