Things to Know
Sharp dropoffs and strong tidal surges can create dangerous situations.
Fossil Collecting is Prohibited
Fossils are non-renewable resources. Once these paleontolgical resources are gone, their scientific value can never be replaced.
Things to Do
The following may be gathered by hand for personal use:
- unoccupied seashells
- driftwood or downed trees small enough to be carried out without dragging
Canoeing and Kayaking
- The park shorelines along Popes Creek and ponds are closed to landing and launching of all boats/watercraft. The shoreline along the Potomac River beach is closed to motorized boats/watercraft.
- Canoes and kayaks may be launched from the Potomac River Beach as it is the only designated area for such activity in the park.
- Careful consideration should be given to weather conditions and tidal current.
The Fishing page states the required license and regulations for fishing along the Potomac River.
- There are no designated parking spaces. The parking lot is paved. Access to the beach is over a grassy area with a slight slope. There are no restrooms at the beach.